New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newton cartridge info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for information on Newton rifles and cartridges for a research project. Barrel length, caliber, sighting, stock style, any unusual or custom features, or headstamp info on brass, date of manufacure, pictures would be very helpful.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Don, beyond what one might find in Cartridges of the World - not the best source, I cannot help you on the ammo, but an inquiry to the Int'l Ammunition Assoc. might give you some help. On the firearms themselves, I suspec there people on this site, but in other forums, who could help and I would also recommend both "Ask the Experts" and "General Discussion" at Gunbroker.com; some real good and knowledgeable people there.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iconoclast, thanks for the lead. I'll do that.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have .256, .30 and .35 Newton cartridges in my collection.

They are headstamped as follows:

N.A.Co. (at 12 o'clock) .256N. (at 6 o'clock)

WESTERN (at 12 o'clock) .30 NEWT. (at 6 o'clock)

WESTERN (at 12 o'clock) .35 NEWT. (at 6 o'clock)

Hope this helps.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony, yes it does. Thanks so much. Do you have any idea as to date of manufacture? I don't know if you have just one cartridge or might have the original package.

<thender>
posted
I've got one .35 Newton oddity... It's H/S "WESTERN .35 NEWT." The oddity lies in the bullet. It is a solid BRASS round nose with two "rings" at the bottom and case neck area. I never have found any info on this particular specimen. [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Newton Arms rifle chambered in .256 Newton. I have a few original cartridges, but shoot ones formed from either .30-06 or .270 Winchester. Are you looking for serial numbers, photos, range data...?
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strawboss:
Tony, yes it does. Thanks so much. Do you have any idea as to date of manufacture? I don't know if you have just one cartridge or might have the original package.

Sorry, I just have the individual rounds.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HockyPuck you have PM. Any info would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thender, can you provide a picture of this unusual bullet?

<thender>
posted
I don't have a way of posting a picture on this forum.... Says I need an URL to load it from and I don't have a websight of my own [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thender I sent you an email.

Special thanks to all who've contributed. I really appreciate your help. There still seems to be a great deal of respect for these old designs amongst knowledgeable shooters.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Don -

I have some information on some of the Newton cartridges , if you want I can scan it and send it to you direct, or just give you the references and you may be able to locate the appropriate books . I doubt I have anything that Hockeypuck doesnt have but you never know . Interesting query , good to see a few more guys involved .

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
muzza - you have PM