Find
Notify
Tools

577-500 NE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi

Does anybody know whether the 577-500Nitro Express came with paperrolled bullets or was it just the blackpowder version?

I�v been offered to buy a 577-500 No 2 Nitro Express with a paperrolled bullet but I suspect this is a blackpowder cartridge [Confused]

Posts: 240 | Location: Finland | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Assuming we are talking about the 577/500 No.2 Express 2 13/16" - this cartridge was available originally as a Black Powder cartridge - 130 gns powder with either 340 gn copper tubed bullet , or 380 gn solid lead bullet . Westley Richards is the maker usually credited with developing the cartridge.Black powder loadings are mostly paper patched projectiles , although unpatched ones are noted.

In the Nitro for Black loadings Kynoch loaded a 53 gr powder with 440 gr bullet , Eley loaded a 60 gr charge with 380 gr bullet. None of the Nitro for Black loads that I have seen illustrated show a paper patched projectile , indicative of the higher velocity . My 1925 Nobels Industries Catalogue illustrates a Kynoch load of 53 gr Smokeless powder with 440 gr metal based , solid , or copper-tubed bullet .The projectile featured is not paper patched.

Not a definitive answer , but hopefully of some assistance.

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro for Black, would that be a blackpowder cartridge with smokeless powder?

I decided to buy it anyway, I will post more when I get it.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the cartridge yesterday. It seems to be the BP version. I compared to the round in Cartridges of the world. It says Kynoch No2 Express and nothing more on the back. It has a paperrolled lead bullet with a copperish point, looks a little like a leadpoint exept the other way around. (Sorry my bad english [Smile] )

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thomas - I suspect you have a Black Powder loading of this cartridge. These were the early loadings , the Nitro-for-Black loads came about as the smokeless or semi smokeless powders were introduced .
The cartridges loaded with Nitro powders were not loaded to much higher pressures , but were just cleaner to use , and possibly safer to load as well .
Hope you enjoy your new addition.

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
The "copperish point" is in fact a copper slug inserted in the nose of the bullet, which was called generically an 'express bullet.' Think of these as the great-grandfathers of today's premium polymer point projectiles.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

Intresting about the copper point!

I left a empty space between my 577 NE and the 577-500No2 for the 577-500NE when (if) I find it [Big Grin]

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thomas - there isnt a lot of choice in %77-500 Nitro Express cartridges. There is only one true Nitro Express - the 577-500 3 1/8" NE and that is only found in one loading and manufacturer . All the others are Nitro for Black Powder loadings , not full Cordite or smokeless loads at all .

Dont leave too big a gap between those cartridges , it will annoy you every time you pull out that drawer.... [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's even worse, they are hanging from a, sort of, cabbinet on the wall above my desk so I can see the "hole" all the time [Roll Eyes]