New
Find
Notify
Tools

550 Magnum a collector round...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious as to whether the round is a good collector cartridge?

The headstamp is 550 Magnum Jamison. My creation based on simply necking up the 505 Gibbs.

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Rich

Yes they are collectable. I was given one by
Npd345. It looks like a very serious powerhouse.
I'm impressed I didn't realize you were behind it.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a box of about 8-10 of these straight walled 505 cases stamped 550 Magnum Jamison and was under the impression they were a mistake on the 1st order of 550 Magnum(460Wea necked up). The 505 Gibbs brass opened up is larger in diameter than the belt of a 460Wea case.

I thought the 550 Magnum was Neal's design.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had to do a little research.

There are two 550 Magnum ctgs out there.

One is a blown out 505 case the other is a blown out 460Wea case.

I learnt sumpin new ev'ry day.

Squatch

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the story I got from Neal was that his initial batch of ordered cases from Jamison was an "Oopsie". They made his 550 Magnum brass using the 505 Gibbs basic.

He was telling me about it on the phone, and I asked him for some of the brass for a friend's Wisner-built 505 Gibbs. He sold me some. I kept looking at these cases, and decided to talk to Dave Manson about reamers. Simply a 505 necked up .046".

615gr bullet, got it up to 2600+ fps.

One of the guys here is having one built on a Montana PH action.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne at AHR has a synthetic stocked 550 Magnum for sale now at the shop for $5,800, on the 460 Wby case.

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/...ear%20End%20Sale.htm

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to get to hunt with Neal on a ranch in south Texas when he told me about the little mishap. I received several in a box a few days after the hunt. I have fired Tiggertate's 550 Magnum and cannot imagine the potential of one based on the Gibbs case. I figure it would be very close to the 600OK if it didn't surpass it.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ummmmm, pretty much...

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but the only 550/505 I know of has has one of those pussy brakes on it. stir

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it ain't mine...
Or a recoil reducer in the stock either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well mine is going to have a "pussy" brake on it.

The barreled MRC PH action will be back from Pac Nor next week.

It has a removal one for load work and it will come off for ground squirrels.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
Would anyone consider selling me a 550 cartridge? Either in the 505 or 460 case. I'm a "fill in the blanks" type of collector and could really use some of the unique loads. I'm over 260 cartridges as of late.

Thanks, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM me for the Gibbs version

One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
PM sent, thanks