New
Find
Notify
Tools

how old is this ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently came across a cartridge that I hope someone can help me date. It is a 30-06 cartridge and the headstamp is as follows: SUPERSPEED 30 G 1906

I figure it is a Winchester cartridge but never seen one so stamped. The cartridge has been reloaded, but is in good condition. When was it made and how unusual is it?

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ET

SUPER SPEED is a trademark of Winchester ammunition dating back to the 1930s. The 30 G 1906 designation for the 30-06 would tend to confirm that time period. There's nothing especially valuable about the case. It is very common. An original loaded round in good condition would probably fetch no more than a dollar or two. The fact that it is a reload reduces it's collector value to near nothing. Sorry.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray, I didnt think it was in the same collectable class as the upside down jenny stamp, but didnt know. I have lots of win. brass with the superspeed stamp so I was pretty sure it was winchester, the odd marking caused my confusion. I guess 30-40 krag (30 Govt.) was still pretty popular then and the 30-06 logo hadnt caught on. Thanks for the assist.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote