New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police department headstamps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have come across a few old rounds of 38 special with a "spokane pd" headstamp on them. I am assuming they are older pieces because they are 38 special lead round-nose. Am I correct in assuming this headstamp refers to the Spokane, Washington police department? If so, were departmental headstamps a common occurance and how easy is it for non-law enforcement people such as myself to come across these?

Why is violence so widely condemned when it is such a huge part of our cultural heritage?

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 13 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray

These days, it's fairly common to find cartridges with all kinds of personalized headstamps. Are you sure that they are old? A 38 Special RN Lead bullet is not necessarily a dinosauer. Regardless, I would also assume that the headstamp refers to the Spokane Washington PD. Rare?? I have no idea, but I would also assume that if the PD contracted to have them made they probably would have ordered thousands, if not millions. On the other hand, if they are for some special occasion or intended as personal or vanity gifts, they could be uncommon, if not rare.

Ray (the other one)

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that makes me think they are "old" is that the lead has some kind of white oxidation or corrosion on them. Maybe this doesn't make them that old. I thought they might be 20 to 30 years old though based on the caliber alone. I'm sure the Spokane PD hasn't used 38s in quite a few years. Unless maybe detectives still carried them after transitioning to the 357 or to autoloaders.

Why is violence so widely condemned when it is such a huge part of our cultural heritage?

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 13 December 2006Reply With Quote