New
Find
Notify
Tools

please identify this cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found this one in ther river when I was about 7 years old. Found it in dad's desk after he passed away...I was wondering if anyone can give me any info http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/calgarychef/2005-12-09011.jpg http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/calgarychef/2005-12-09008.jpg

The stamp sez--D.C. Co 43 M.

thanks

hope I attached the pics properly

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chef:

It is what was commonly called the .43 Mauser, as manufactured by Dominion Cartridge Co. in Quebec, probably prior to WWII (They replaced the D.C.Co. headstamp with DOMINION shortly after the war). It is the 11x60R aka 11.15x60R black powder round for the German M71 and M71/84 military rifles that seem to be fairly common, at least in Canada.

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, looks like it would be good moose medicine!! Would it have seen much civilian use? There is an air force base in Moose Jaw Sask. where I found it. I suppose it must predate the base. Was this round popular with hunters at any time?

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .43 Mauser evolved into the 11.x60 Mauser [with rebated rim ] which has now evolved into the 45 Blaser.I think they are most popular for boar !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
I suspect they sold the old Mausers as surplus here at one time, since I stumble into a butchered specimen every once in a while in some out of the way place. The cartriges were still quite common when I was a teen in the sixties and I started my cartrige collection with one.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
A 45 Blaser is a 284 Winchester necked out to 458 with the shoulder pushed forward. This I got from some Blaser reps.

If you have other information concerning the design on the 45 Blaser please direct me to the website or book. I am very interested in this cartridge.

However if you have another source with different information, like I said direct me to it as I am always open to different ideas.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chef:

I am sure they must have been used for moose hunting; otherwise they wouldn't have been so popular here in New Brunswick. Dominion claimed 1360 fps for a 385 gr. lead bullet. This was probably from a carbine length barrel, as Kynoch claimed 1425 fps for a 386 gr. lead bullet from a 31.5" barrel. This ammunition was produced specifically for for civilian, hunting, purposes.

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the Canadian 43M that I have seen have been smokeless.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote