New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Streamlined
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At a gun show this past weekend, I picked up another wildcat. Case is .257 Roberts (actually marked 257 REM), necked to 224-225 calibre, same length as the Roberts. The neck is the Weatherby-style double-radius. The seller said it was named '22 Streamlined' but could tell me nothing more about it.

Anyone have any data?

Thanks, the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
welcome to the frustrating world of wildcat identification. Whilst many of the early 'cats are well documented there are lots of later ones that exist only in the reloading rooms of hunters and inventors .One of the things that seems to happen is that if you can afford reloading gear you are automatically elevated to cartridge designer status , hence the multitude of necked down/up /shortened cartridges around these days.

I have searched my wildcat refernces and your one doesnt feature . All that means is no one has written about it yet . Good luck for finding an addition , its one I dont have .

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Had another search though my database ( read that as looked in a different book ) and found the following on the .22 Streamline ;-

Developed by Conn Schmitt on a necked down .257 or 7mm case ( about 1946-7 )with a peculiar rounded shoulder ( does yours have that feature? ) designed to reach maximum combustion efficiency, for shooting heavy , jacketed .22 bullets. The streamline shoulder is rounded on a very appreciable radius (3/8th") where it meets neck and body. It was developed with thorough ballistics testing and chronographing tests in Minneapolis.

Some loading information ; 55 gn Sisk bullet and 40.5 grains of 4064 powder made a velocity of 4200fps. 60 grain Sisk and 36.0 grains of 4064 gave a velocity of 3700-3750 fps.

Thank Mr F C Ness for the information. mds

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was developed with thorough ballistics testing and chronographing tests in Minneapolis.
This might explain why the seller knew something about it-- I bought it at a gun show in StPaul which is across the river from Minneapolis.

Yes, it has a funny rounded shoulder/neck--it is much less abrupt than the double-radius of the Weatherbys.

Thanks for the book reference.

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote