Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby ammunition
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have any information about 416 Rigby ammunition manufactured under the Rigby name?

oklahomamike
"SAFARI" "THE DARK CONTINENT" The words conjure up a mystical world of exotic animals and places, smoking campfires, danger, solitude, freedom to wander over a land that time has forgotten, where lions roar, to seek
your soul that has been lost these many years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you want to know?

The .416 Rigby is one of the classic African big-game cartridges. I'm away from my sources at the moment, but IIRC it was developed in the UK in the early years of the 20th century as a rimless round for magazine rifles (most large-calibre big game guns at that time were double rifles firing long, rimmed cartridges). Ballistics are around 400 grains at 2,400 fps, I think.

The case is wide, with a sharp shoulder. Its width has made it popular with cartridge designers looking for maximum power, and the case (with a belt added) became the basis for the Weatherby .378/.460/.416 cartridges. Rigby themselves have more recently come out with a .450 version, and the case is the basis for the .338 Lapua long-range sniping rifle.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion
forum

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what I know is that Wolfgang Romey in Krautland make the Rigby ammo. when this is rigth we can say the case is from Horneber and the bullet is from woodleigh.
the good news is than that this ammo is testet by a proof house and is the same that W.Romey sell under his own name, only that Horneber make another headstamb on the case

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, but I was looking for information on the ammunition marketed by John Rigby and Co back when they sold their own ammunition for their rifles. I don't believe they sell this anymore. I have purchased some and was looking for information about their product.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a little bit of info in John Taylor's book, but I figured you had already read that. If not, have at it.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote