Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 9,3x63 cartridges..
 Login/Join

<Husky>
posted
gentlemen,
As i own a Miller & Val. Greiss rifle chambered for the 6,3x63 (NOT the 6,3x62) I would wery much like to own a cartridge or a case for this caliber.

Does any of got one?

The 9,3x63 was introduced around 1905 - 1910 and it is built on a necked down 10,75x68 case.

/Husky

<Husky>
posted
Ehhh,
There seems to be some bloody wrong with my computer...
The caliber is 9,3x63 and not to be confused with the 9,3x62!

Sorry
Husky

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I dont have the cartridge , nor obviously a spare to send you , but I found this information that may be of interest;
Miller and Greiss were gunsmiths of Munich and produced a number of unique case types , but mostly offered proprietory loadings of existing calibres using their propritory " Greiss" bullet. This bullet utilised a special banded jacket and was developed ca.1906 and was available in calibres 9.3mm and 8mm ( at least ).
In the M&G loading of the 9.3 x 63mm cartridge with the Greiss bullet some examples have a distinctive cupro-nickel clad steel jacketed SP bullet with a band of copper and sometimes in addition a band of lead which has been identified from catalogues as the "Greiss " bullet .All banded bullet loadings as well as conventional loadings have been produced by RWS and have the "RWS NURNBERG" headstamp.
If I had a scanner I could add a photo of the bullet and loaded cartridge but I am but a humble dairy farmer with a budget that doesnt allow such frippery. Sorry.

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Husky>
posted
muzza,
Thanks for the information. I am considering to order reloading dies for the rifle. I already got 10,75x68 cases. Norma made them for Kynoch sometimes in the 1940 -50.s

/Husky

<Husky>
posted
I have just ordered reloading tools for my 9,3x63 from Triebel of Germany. It will be very interesting to start making up a nice load!

/Husky

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Let us know the results of your loading exercise . Outside of the odd moose , what do you have to shoot that requires that much gun?

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Husky>
posted
Muzza,
Well it would be good medicine for wild boar and what do you think about loading it with Woodleigh.s 320 gr bullets for Buffalo...?

Husky

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
the buffalo idea sounds great - but won't the keepers at the Stockholm Zoo notice one is missing.....

<Husky>
posted
Jupp -Think so,
Maybe better to go to Africa. I am told that there is a big old bull in Zimbabwe that needs some kind of medicine...

/Husky

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
better stand well back - in case the splashback from the entry wound gets you.....

<Husky>
posted
muzza,
At last - I will recive two original RWS 9,3x63 rounds next week!

The dies from Triebel are also on its way!

Soon one will after 90 years of silence again hear the thunder of the 9,3x63!!

/husky

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Husky

Way to go. No sense in letting a good rifle lay fallow. Congratulations on your persistance. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Husky>
posted
Friends,
Now I got them!
A famous European master gunsmith was kind enough to send me two 9,3x63 cartridges from his collection. Funny -the cases are just stamped "RWS N�rnberg" -no information about caliber or anything...

/Husky

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Great stuff! Now you will be able to develop loads for it and then report back on its effectiveness on that moose from the Zoo.
Sounds like you will be busy having fun . keep us informed of the progress.

<Husky>
posted
Jepp [Big Grin]