Find
Notify
Tools

the old 10,75x68 cartridge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey!
Does anyone know where I can find more info on this caliber? in books or internett.
Have anyone in this forum any experience with this caliber...history, recoil?, anything?

I hope you people can help a norwegian, who wants this as a mooserilfe

The rilfe i have on hand is a original mauser 98 with "hookmounting" and a old german scope.
I'm not sure I will bay it yet.....

B.R
HVA146

Posts: 25 | Location: Norway, Eastern part | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The 10.75 x 68 Mauser calibre appeared prior to at least1911 , and was loaded by most of the European manufacturers and Kynoch of England . it was still listed in the RWS catalog of 1990 , but not in 1991 , so appears to be no longer in production - unless one of the "new" European makers is loading it now .Maybe Wolfgang Romey is loading it or making cases?

Maybe someone with a copy of COTW may be able to add ballistics and load data , I dont have a copy of that book .

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not difficult to find recent factory ammo from the last production batch here on the shelves in Germany. My local gunsmith has stocked many factory-fresh RWS boxes in 10,75x68. Of course, such ammo is almost as expensive as good wine in Norway ;-).

If you need some, let me know. I need 8x54 KJ in return, but will not really barter on a 1:1 scale *grin*.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COTW dates the 10.75x63 from 1910,the 10.75x68 from the early 1920s.

Hornerber and Bertram offer brass for sale.

bullet dia.is .424".

COTW data: 347 gr,SP bullet,59.0 grs. IMR 3031,MV 2250 fps.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 10,75x68 is an old cartridge, which becomes still popular at the moment.
A very good artikle about this caliber was in HATARITIMES No 15 (Hunting in Australia) by Harald Wolf www.hataritimes.com. Harald hunted buffs in Australie with this caliber and give a lot of informations.
If you want, I can scan the artikles an send it to you by email (in German language).

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Nickudu offers this excellent article for all of you who are interested.

Horneber makes brass for it. RWS ammo loaded with fullmetall jacket bullets is useless

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that would be very interessting to read that article. Could you email me that one? Is it big(over 1,5mb), tell me and I'll give you another email adress.

Johan(svensken), do you have the same artice? If not could you scan and email this to me? The swedish forum doesn't say too much about this carliber. To you know anyone how use this on moose?

Posts: 25 | Location: Norway, Eastern part | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
hva146
You can download/view the article thru the link. If you can't download the article let me know. I need an e-mail address with a capacity of 1,63 mb or larger.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=507611&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Nikudu African Files is a great place which I often visit. I made a request about the 8X68S and 10,75X68 articles some time ago and the message seems to gotten thru

Don't know anyone who uses 10,75X68 for moose. Should be perfect for driven hunts on wildboar, deers etc.

Ha de norrbagge

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Johan!

That was a nice article! I liked that.

Does anyone have a load for the 400grains bullet(Woodleigh), to the 10,75mauser? Or is this bullet to heavy?

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
I�ve hunted our moose over here in Finland with this old cal, my load was:

Bertram brass, Woodleigh 400 grs SP, Vihtavuori N135 65 grs, chronographed 640 m/s (2100 fps).

If you dont buy the rifle, I�ll take it any day.

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Boha!

Interesting to hear out your experience, because I will hunt our Norwegian moose, hopefully, with the 10,75mauser. And everything else ofcourse ..... beaver, roedeer, fox and so on....

How did the moose react when you shoot it? And did it destroy much meat?

B.R

Hva146

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
The bullet is pretty tough for our moose, so there was no damade to mention. No one required more than one shot.

It�s a very nice round IMO.

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote