New
Find
Notify
Tools

German stalking rifle mystery ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I purchased an old single shot bolt action German stalking rifle. I has markings under the barrel that read 6.2mm and a mfg date that I believe to be July 1910. There is no caliber designation markings. I have ordered some cerrosafe to make a chamber cast in the meantime what are the likely candidates for that era......Thanks.....Hutt

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There isn't a big number of 6 mm European hunting cartridges. It could be chambered for the 6 x 58 Mauser or Forster, although the Forster was first listed in 1934 DWM catalogs

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Hutt

You should measure the bore diameter with calipers and we could get alot closer to what you are seeking for an answer.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 6mm .243 bullet will drop thru to the other end a .257 will not.......still don't know. Tried two lubed chamber casts and non would release. Had to heat back out. Will try wax next

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Actually there are a more than a few 6mm calibres for European sporting guns. But you do really need to do a chamber cast to get an accurate identification.

Do that , get the measurements and you will likely get an identification quick-smart like .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOT an expert on early markings, but is the 6.2 the bore diameter? Could that make it one of the 6.5mm's?

6.2mm = .244"
6.5mm = .256" (actual, VS todays "standard" 6.5 bullet of .264)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The actual 6.5 (.256 ) would be a likely guess

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Collath drilling from the late 1920's that is marked on the flats as being a "6x58R". I had this gun slugged and it turned out to have bore of .261 which would correspond to a 6.5x58R Sauer and indeed an empty case drops in snugly. I doubt the gun was rebored so I have to wonder whether it was mismarked or if guns of this caliber were so marked. Going to Germany in two weeks and will pick up some bullets (Degol)in .261....but it is a mystery which I intend to talk about with a friend that works at Frankonia.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:

Cal30

Since 1906 the only thing spectacular that has happened was in 1925 when God created the .270 Winchester.

Cal, Love your byline!!!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I would think there is a good chance that the 6,2 proof mark might refer to the 25-35 win.
Both the 25-35 and the 30-30 had a following in pre war Germany. I have seen several drillings chambered for the 30-30 and at least two bbf's chambered for the 25-35.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a third cast and the results were measured and compared to the charts in the cartridges of the world...............turns out it is a 6.5X27Rmm
There was a gouge in the chamber keeping the cast from extracting. The bore is fair at best so The rifle at a smith being relined and chambered to 25-20. It is a very close match to the original as far as ballistics are concerned. The rear barrel express sights should be closely regulated to the 25-20. A closer match dimentially to the original chambering was the .256 win magnum.