Find
Notify
Tools

black powder. inside primed 58 Berdan carbine
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
Does anyone know if the inside primer is center fire, or rim fire, and can new cases be made form 577 NEX brass. I have one of the cartridges in my collection, and I know it is inside primed, but no sure if it is rim fire of center fire.

The reason I am asking this is I have a black powder cape gun that is chambered for this round on the right barrel, and 20 ga on the left barrel, and the barrels are Damascus.
I shoot the 2o ga shot barrel with black powder shot shells, and it is deadly on flying birds, but I would also like to load some black powder rifle ammo for the right barrel as well. If the inside primed is center fire, I can find a way to make cases for it.

This is a beautiful old gun and would love to be able to use it for some deer hunting as well as birds.
……………...………….. Confused oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Can you post a pic of the cartridge you have - its hard to know without seeing one in person.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are center fire, and making them will be a challenge. I assume your gun is also center fire, in which case, you can make them with modern external primers much easier. As you know, inside primed cases have to be super thin. Like rimfire.

Posts: 17059 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
They are center fire, and making them will be a challenge. I assume your gun is also center fire, in which case, you can make them with modern external primers much easier. As you know, inside primed cases have to be super thin. Like rimfire.

Thanks for the info! The making of cases from 577NE cases may have the thinner rim thickness, but I have quite a lot of 577NE cases that I could use if they would work in my cape gun loaded with cast lead, and black powder.
As I said in my post, I shoot the shot gun barrel, and it is deadly on fast flying doves and grouse. I would dove to take a good mule deer with the rifle barrel, if I can get brass made for it.
Again thank you for your reply!

…………...…...…...…...…......….. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While there are early versions of .58 caliber cartridges that are rimfire. The .58 Berdan carbine was a centerfire cartridge. Generally when you see the term "inside primed" it actually means "inside primed centerfire". The term is not really used for rimfire cartridges even though they are inside primed.
Zac