New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who else burns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I always laugh when I see TV commercials for gyms or weird exercise equipment. City people baffle me.

I recently modified my front deck to make it easier to get the wood up here.

I log, block, split and stack my own. All hardwood. Will probably put up three cords this fall. I am halfway there.

Anyway, it's free exercise in the fresh air and should the power grid go out all will be well here.

~Ann

Posts: 19128 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I have 100 acres of hardwoods, and bringing in firewood for the woodstove is one of the most enjoyable and relaxing things I do. I burn about 7 cords per year. Keeps me outside :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love it! tu2

Posts: 18520 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Ann, I have 100 acres of hardwoods, and bringing in firewood for the woodstove is one of the most enjoyable and relaxing things I do. I burn about 7 cords per year. Keeps me outside :-)

My feelings too. I am trying to get as much done now so I can spend some time deer hunting. That little electric splitter does an amazing job for what it is. I am going to try those big red oak rounds on it and see if it will break them down for me- if I can lift them up onto it.

~Ann

Posts: 19128 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann: What type of critters find their home in the wood stacked on your deck, or is that not a problem? Just curious. I know from experience that sometimes I have gotten spiders of the nasty sort in the wood pile or mice or occasionally a reptile that I don't like or appreciate. I see the reasoning for having it stacked on the deck and 'close to home'.

Posts: 18520 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I get a variety of spiders, ants, etc when I bring a load in the house and it warms up but nothing substantial. I find a lot of critters when I am splitting it. Most of them move on once I wreck their home. Not a lot bothers me as far as critters anyway. I grew up with frogs and toads in my pockets.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have my stoves in place but over the years I have taken to using gas appliances for ease ( sorry; I've become fond of indoor plumbing as well). As per the subject, when we were using wood as a total heating source, about 40 years ago; we would after work go out + cut down trees in approx. 8' lengths, fill the truck every night + on the weekend, cut + split to length. It keeps 3 families alive + warm.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 years ago I retired and moved to rural Alaska. Put in a wood stove and an oil heater with 300 gallons in the tank. Today I burn 15 cords a year and the tank has 200 gallons still in it. I love wood heat--nice dry heat, the exercise in bringing in and splitting and stacking is good, the cost is about zero escept chainsaw gas and bar oil, and at 65 I thank the Good Lord I can still do the work.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Cal, you really put up a lot of wood. Three cords of hardwood gets me through a winter here in Missouri! I wanted to block some more trees today but it's a touch too warm out. Maybe tomorrow!

Once this next load is in I am done until after I shoot a deer. Then I will take apart some blow downs in my woods.

All winter I will drop trees here and there. EAB has killed all of the ash here and sadly, I had some really big ash trees. A lot of them. I will get them down and begin processing them ASAP. No sense in letting such good wood go to waste.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Been burning wood for my whole life. burn about 7 full cords up north here.

The old farm house I grew up in used a lot more then that.

A lot of people don't know the difference between a face cord and a logger/full cord.

Full cord 4'x4'x8' face cord 4'x8'x16" the length of the wood for a face cord can vary depending on the size of your stove.

Ann I would be afraid of damaging my deck dumping and splitting on it

Posts: 19327 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or half of a full cord is a rick. When we heated with wood entirely 40+ years ago we would go through about 3 + cords a winter. In the last few years, we have had no winter down here.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We usually burn 6 or so cords a year here. Traditionly beetle killed spruce, but they are getting sparce and the birch are growing like crazy so when built another woodshed and fill it with fresh birch and green spruce and by fall its perfect and last twice as long.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All that firewood is coming in handy right now. Was just 10 above this morning. Brutal weather for my area.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are headed up to Ozark Co. MO tomorrow for a 4 day retreat to our future home.

Cabin is heated solely with wood. Most of my work this weekend will be splitting stuff I cut down and cut up last trip.

Fortunately we have nearly 300 acres all wooded...and mostly hardwood...so a perpetual supply (as long as we don't have a wildfire come through!).

We love putting up wood. Feels better than money in the bank on a cold night!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, awesome! Missouri is a great place to live.

~Ann