THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Preparing For The Unknown    "FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"....Canned RED SALMON Test for quality
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"....Canned RED SALMON Test for quality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I put six cans of Red Salmon in the freezer for two days, thawed one can for a day, refroze it for two days, thawed it, refroze it for two days. Five more cans for a one month long (freeze/thaw) test of the resulting quality.

Zero change in the texture, as compared to other cans from the same case, eaten earlier. I did this because I have buried many cases of this Red Salmon in the last few weeks. I buried it in such a way I doubt it will freeze, but I wanted to know if it would come out as mush. I don't know if the salt water it is packed in is a factor, but I doubt that it is. I am ecstatic with the results.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good + valuable test. There has always been the rumor that beef can not be refrozen after thawed but venison 'e.g.' can be. We were taught to cook the thawed frozen beef, then refreeze it + all was well. I have never tested the theory but I'm glad you mentioned the salmon; that would have been a concern for me as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, just reread your original post. CANNED SALMON being the crux. I would have no problems with canned foodstuffs. Raw packaging, be it smoked or salted I still have issues with. Usually works.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canned food that had been frozen and thawed at our Ontario camp was nasty.

~Ann

Posts: 19137 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as the freezing doesn't bust the can. I like you have found it good to go.

Posts: 19340 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cans weren't busted at all.

No way I would rely on such stuff. You're better off drying or freeze drying for extremes in temps and vacuum sealing those item too.

~Ann

Posts: 19137 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Canned food that had been frozen and thawed at our Ontario camp was nasty.

I request you describe "NASTY". Maybe the texture was altered by the freezing....or what made it "NASTY"..??

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, texture for sure. Basically the repeated freezing and thawing turned said items into what looked like vomit. Like I said, drying or freeze drying is the way to go for what you want to do. My 25 + year old dehydrator runs often at this time of the year.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Oh, yes, texture for sure. Basically the repeated freezing and thawing turned said items into what looked like vomit. Like I said, drying or freeze drying is the way to go for what you want to do. My 25 + year old dehydrator runs often at this time of the year.

OK........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who bought a commercial-grade freeze dryer + has been doing an amazing volume for other potential preppers in the central Tx. area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh + BTW, for anyone interested; the canning process was due to Napolean Bonaparte offering a cash settlement for anyone who could find a food preservation system for his 'Grande Armee'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I have a buddy who bought a commercial-grade freeze dryer + has been doing an amazing volume for other potential preppers in the central Tx. area.

Do you know what one he has.

Posts: 19340 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll ask him the next time we talk on the phone. He says he is starting to do enough volume that he is thinking about buying another one as well. Also, he says that the amount of power usage is minimal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just buried another 96 cans of delicious Red "Sockeye" Salmon, yesterday. Still hoping to have (9) nine cases buried before winter. That will be 216 cans, which is two cans per week for two years. Thinking of it as a source of nutritious "Omega Oils".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever needed any of that food you've cached through the years? If you have, what caused you to need it? If you haven't, isn't it a continuing pointless endeavor? I'm really curious why someone does this.

Posts: 1063 | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post