New
Find
Notify
Tools

Score!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found a real good deal on these IBC totes and the guy delivered them yesterday evening. I will be halving them for more grow beds. That will give me 8 beds. I'll be buying four more of these from him and have another coming from a friend trading for some sharpening work.

Since I have the cages with these and not just the bladders, I will be set them up on cement blocks to bring the beds up a bit higher. I will be able to replace smaller tubs with these. The small tubs get too hot due to being colored plastic.

~Ann

Posts: 19125 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Nice find.
I do have a question. The upper half with the lid for the fill hole. When you flip it and place it on its stand do you have a spigot in the lid so you can gather the excess nutrient rich water in a bucket?
coues
ds

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coues:
Hello,
Nice find.
I do have a question. The upper half with the lid for the fill hole. When you flip it and place it on its stand do you have a spigot in the lid so you can gather the excess nutrient rich water in a bucket?
coues
ds

Yes. I will change out to different buckets though as these do have holes in them. My other thought is to put 5 gal buckets below planted with a crop as well. Something that won't take up too much space and get in the way of maintaining the totes.

I put some old window screen behind the spigot to hold back the growing medium. In the top halves I drill a drainage hole and use some PVC pipe that I have drilled holes in for a drain. I cover the end of the PVC pipe with screen too.

~Ann

Posts: 19125 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love your “Freedom Farm”
I’m still trying to convince the wife that we need rabbits.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh, rabbits are pretty easy. I just cleaned out manure tubs today and used them for mulch on my newly planted bush beans, shallots and carrots.

It was in the 80's here today and both of my does have new litters, about a week old. All of the kits were resting outside the fur ball the mothers make for them. They were too hot. The oldest just opened their eyes. They really grow fast.

~Ann