Find
Notify
Tools

OTR Haulers and 6.9% inflation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New topic for discussion.

Now and then (of late) I hear rumblings of a trucker strike. I actually wonder if some of this hasn't already been happening but should that really organize, wow.

I'm sure the minimal toilet paper stock would disappear first but with no food I see a lot of chaos happening. I saw a lot of empty shelves the one day I went to the store earlier this month for pie filling to make a pie for Christmas dinner I attended. Insane.

Now the inflation is starting to affect prices and I see that ramping up further as fuel prices and commodity prices continue to creep up. I think anyone who went to procuring/producing their own food are already doing that.

Also, earlier this month I took a ride down the local to me interstate to buy hay. We only have two lanes through most of fly over country. The road was packed on that Sunday morning. Much of it semi tractor trailers. We are clearly reliant on such for commodity deliveries.

Now in the midst of winter I see trouble brewing should a strike happen. Any of the rest of you hearing of such a situation in your woods?

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not yey but it would be perfect time for the teamsters union to strike. Fxxk the rest of America, we just want more $$$. They should be dealt with the same way that Reagen dealt with the air traffic controllers in 1980. Just fire every one of them + deal with folks that don't want to hold their country under threat. There is a word for people like those; Traitor.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not very likely. Teamsters are a small part of trucking today and usually strike against individual companies. We are a whiny lot and demands would range from free coffee at every exit to less regulation. Iirc, the last organized nationwide strike back in the eighties resulted in the main ringleader, Micheal Parkhurst, being threatened or maybe prosecuted by the feds.
While there is no shortage of truckers claiming they're going broke, the truth is the market controls the rates and right now we are in the catbird''s seat. I'm making a healthy profit and I've seen loads posted for $10,000 for 2,000 miles. With my current costs running me around $1.25/mile, that's a pretty substantial profit.
I'm not typical, as I have older paid for equipment. Availability of repair parts is becoming harder for me, though.

Posts: 692 | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone wants more money. I see that as a driver for increasing inflation.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Not yey but it would be perfect time for the teamsters union to strike. Fxxk the rest of America, we just want more $$$. They should be dealt with the same way that Reagen dealt with the air traffic controllers in 1980. Just fire every one of them + deal with folks that don't want to hold their country under threat. There is a word for people like those; Traitor.

I suspect you haven't been keeping up on the Warrior Met coal mine strike in Alabama? You know, the biggest coal strike in over 100 years? Like it or not, unions are probably the reason you are able to retire. No I'm not a union member but like it or not Unions are responsible for a lot of the things we used to take for granted. Anyway, if anyone is so inclined just search "Alabama coal mine strike" and form their own opinion, and maybe also wonder why there is such little coverage of it by national media outlets.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post