New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire Starter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's how I build a fire starter. I cut an empty toilet paper spool in half cross ways so that I have a couple of shorter spools. I flute one end and fold the flutes inwards to create a bottom. I place a bunch of these spools in a paint tray and fill them with either dryer lint or sawdust. I then melt old candles and pour this over the spools. Makes a water proof fire starter about the size of a golf ball. Carry a few of these in a plastic shopping bag in my vehicles. Can be used to start charcoal. Haven't had much experience with this fire starter but you can soak corks (from wine bottles) in denatured alcohol and they will lite real easy.

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted this in the section requesting this prepper section, didn't know how to move it so just copied and pasted.

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Here's how I build a fire starter. I cut an empty toilet paper spool in half cross ways so that I have a couple of shorter spools. I flute one end and fold the flutes inwards to create a bottom. I place a bunch of these spools in a paint tray and fill them with either dryer lint or sawdust. I then melt old candles and pour this over the spools. Makes a water proof fire starter about the size of a golf ball. Carry a few of these in a plastic shopping bag in my vehicles. Can be used to start charcoal. Haven't had much experience with this fire starter but you can soak corks (from wine bottles) in denatured alcohol and they will lite real easy.

Egg cartons, wood chips / birch bark etc. & paraffin works good also. Cut em into 12 ea little cups.

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff
I like to collect tree resin. I mix it with sawdust for an awesome starter. Also birch bark and the paper bark tree is good stuff. For all weather natural starter, I usually like fatwood that does the same thing as resin and sawdust.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plastic 5-gallon bucket filled with dry sawdust. Add one gallon of diesel. A cup full starts the wood stove every time and a small container brought on camping and hunting excursions works well. Although my stove runs non stop from the end of August to the end of May so I don't use much starter.

For emergency that I carried in my snow machine for the seven years I had a cabin in the bush and drove the Skandic 42 miles up a frozen river: plastic quart of oil, empty 1/3 out and replace with gasoline. To ignite I would use a highway flare which is easy to use if wet and cold (if the machine went through the ice). My plan was to spray the oil-gas mix on a spruce tree and light it with the flare. Thankfully I never had to use it.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry road flares too.
They will pretty much ignite anything you want to burn even in the wettest conditions.I especially carry them on the 4 wheelers and my sidex side during spring riding.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3064 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a little bit of rifle powder (keep dry).

Make a little cup out of foil. Place the rifle powder in the cup then pour Glycerin over it.
You have about 45 seconds to stand back. I will self ignite and burn like a flame thrower for maybe 5 - 10 seconds.
How we use to start campfire years ago surprising people.
It will start about anything with small kindling

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, well some balled up newspaper and a match have always worked for me. I do like those foot-long stick matches the best though. tu2

~Ann

Posts: 19122 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a fire starter but to keep warm in the deer blind on super cold mornings we would put a roll of TP in a coffee can, fill with rubbing alcohol + light that. TP works as a wick. It doesn't smell or smoke + will warm your hands.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vaseline soaked cotton balls... all you'll ever need. Just keep sealed tight in a pill bottle or something

Posts: 52 | Registered: 05 October 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m intrigued by the Blackbeard fire starter. Haven’t tried it, but looks very effective.

Posts: 7752 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpicyCrabDip:
Vaseline soaked cotton balls... all you'll ever need. Just keep sealed tight in a pill bottle or something

Ditto!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1530 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarbe:
quote:
Originally posted by SpicyCrabDip:

Ditto!

And ditto again!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. kinda on + off the subject + I'm sure there will be women insulted; my ex was. Asking her for a used Kotex was the hardest part. I used an empty 35mm film canister that I had duct-taped on a close pin. Clip it to a limb + remove the cap. Get in your blind + wait. The estrus scent will carry + it doesn't matter if it is human. It works. But as I said, getting a used one from ANY woman is a chore.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
O.K. kinda on + off the subject + I'm sure there will be women insulted; my ex was. Asking her for a used Kotex was the hardest part. I used an empty 35mm film canister that I had duct-taped on a close pin. Clip it to a limb + remove the cap. Get in your blind + wait. The estrus scent will carry + it doesn't matter if it is human. It works. But as I said, getting a used one from ANY woman is a chore.

Except us gals are not in estrous when the blood flows. Yer 'ex' was right to be thinking you were as nutty as a libtard. Look it up, Dude! I promise you I speak the truth. That said, I am glad that portion of my life is over! Be happy for me and not grossed out, please.

~Ann

Posts: 19122 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post