Notify
Tools

The attack on the prepared
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Nothing is totally remote anymore. By your own admission you did have human contact eventually-be it voluntarily or involuntarily it doesn't matter. And, in a world wide crisis or disaster, sooner or later that contact will not be friendly. As much as we all wish otherwise, unfortunately we live in a totally different world than a few years ago. Good luck!

You have clearly "NOT" spent 52 years flying Super Cubs all over Alaska and Canada. And the only reason I eventually had human contact after six months.......is that I walked 67 miles out to where there were humans.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Six months is a long time without speaking/seeing anyone.

~Ann

Posts: 19132 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Six months is a long time without speaking/seeing anyone.

It was not uncommon hundred or more, years ago. Was fifty years ago that I did it.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not everyone is cut from the same cloth. Most people feel the need for social interaction; not all by any means but most. Although I have a plethora of friends, I don't see them for years at a time just due to distance. My general interaction with others is at the post office mailing pkgs, the bank making deposits, or customers to my shop. These are definitely not social calls but it does get one in touch with the other human element.I see your point though. I have a library in my house + would rather read than visit with most folks. But then again, that's what we're doing here.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, this reminds me of the book about the life of Ben Lilly by J. Frank Dobie. Ben lived in the wilderness in the late 1800s with only his dogs, eradicating bears + cougars in Texas. Doing God's work as he saw it. After being on the trail alone for quite some time, he was sitting with his dogs around the campfire one night + some pup did something humorous + he laughed, + the sound scared him + felt he needed to get back to society at least for a short time.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's real bad is when you know your animals understand what you're saying.

Anyone remember seeing those programs about Dick Proenneke? Dude was skilled.

~Ann

Posts: 19132 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyone remember seeing those programs about Dick Proenneke? Dude was skilled.

I knew him just a little, when I lived on Lake Clark. Would sometimes chat with him over at Port Alsworth. Lake Clark was my best SHTF/Survival cabin and hunting lodge. You could "never" starve living on that lake, or Illiamna Lake. Lake Trout up to 52 pounds, grayling, Salmon, Pike.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Dough, that sounds like heaven.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
'Dough, that sounds like heaven.

The only problem is getting there. Thank God I owned a few appropriate airplanes when I lived there. That lake is 52 miles long, and tiny compared to Lake Iliamna.