THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Preparing For The Unknown    Another "new" article on Ammo Shortage, but new information.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another "new" article on Ammo Shortage, but new information.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't abort reading when he gets to "chickens" as that is the core example. Basically, two companies are controlling a large part of production and retail market.

https://mattstoller.substack.c...-firepower-what-high

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have to read it to know Vista and Olin own just about everything powder and bullets.

Posts: 10798 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I do not have to read it to know Vista and Olin own just about everything powder and bullets.

What I thought was interesting, is they intend too NOT allow the available inventory to get abundantly stocked.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, just think of all the Black Hills, and Hornady type companies out there who rely on Olin and Vista for powder.

I was not trying to be short, but I noticed this concentration when Vista bought Remington Ammo, Hevi Shot, etc.

You can have as many cartridge assembling companies as you want, but if they have to go to Olin or Vista for powder, well you do not have real competition to keep prices low and inventory up.

Posts: 10798 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for the redundancy but there are federal laws already on the "books" about monopolies. Well, the facts are there; so will anyone in "power" do something about it? I doubt it as there is still a lot of money to be made; at the expense of the American citizen.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a very small scale concerning this issue. I have a sheet metal mfg. shop. Several years ago in my mail I had a notice for sale of a pipeline machine ( read corrugated culvert, you know what I mean ) for $20K. Now that's cheap if you get the contract of even one county, but what cleared the mist from my eyes was the fact that although the potential money was good. I would have to compete against others who already had their equipment paid for. One can not tool up with the potential of losing the business. I could tell stories of hoe Sears + Roebuck got so big by the same chicanery, but another time. My point being that the same situation applies.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monopolies seem to be popular these days.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a thread I started on a different forum. Where nearly everyone but me is delusional about the future of ammo. Those guys are hard stuck, and very-very angry about the ammo reality, and they "TRULY" believe or desire to believe that any day now the shelves will be heavily-heavily ladened with tons of dirt-cheap abundant ammo. I was attempting to point out ain't no way in HELL with virgin brass $40.00 plus shipping for twenty pieces, was ammo in the future going to be cheap. (Note: I have 10 boxes of 7 MM MAG. Remington CORE-LOKT factory, I am attempting to sell, remember this is Alaska......they want to purchase factory ammo from someone for a "FRACTION" of the value of the brass only).

VIRGIN Magnum Rifle Brass........$2.00 "EACH"

So I posted some virgin 7MM Remington Mag. "BRASS" comparable (Note: That it is ALL out of stock/Not currently available) Looks like on average it is $1.50 to over $2.00 per each brass case. YES.....there would be a shipping charge. So if someone has (10) Ten boxes of ammo that is five or ten years in storage, "JUST" the unfired brass of the factory loaded (ten years in storage) is worth $30.00 to $40.00 (just the brass).

PETERSON CARTRIDGE 7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM BRASS | Brownells

NOSLER, INC. 7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM BRASS | Brownells

7 mm Remington Magnum Rifle Brass | Brass at Brownells

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All components are going for top dollar these days + I don't foresee any great price decreases in the future; that's like expecting taxes to go down; ain't gonna happen. Well, you can't blame folks wanting a bargain, but get real. I like the part about wanting a bargain on brass that is out of stock; hell, if I don't have any either, I can undercut their price. Years ago, before I wised up, I would load for anyone. I had a guy call up + wanted a price on some 223 ammo. I gave him the price + he hit the roof; "I can get military surplus for $1.00 a box less. I thought handloading was supposed to be the cheap way to go." Well, yes Einstein, it is cheaper IF you are loading it for yourself. It still never ceases to amaze me on the stupidity of so many people.