Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever dry zucchini?
 Login/Join

posted
I have about 40-50 pounds of zucchini that I'm planning on sun-drying, just wondering if anyone her has ever done it?

My plan right now is to cut up in 1/4" (6mm) slices, sprinkle with salt lightly and put on a bread cooling rack:

and cover with clear plastic. I can put an electric fan in it but I think I'll try without first. I also have an electric dehydrator but it would take me a month to dry all the squash I have. Anyway, just wondering what peoples experiences are.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a summer squash fan but I know a lot of people do freeze Zuc's.

With what you want to do I would think you could use your oven to make your dried zuc chips? Or, finish them in your oven after you put them through your sun drying rack?

~Ann

Posts: 19128 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an air fryer that has a dehydrate setting so you can make crisp apple chips etcetera and I think spiced zucchini crisps would be great.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an air fryer that has a dehydrate setting so you can make crisp apple chips etcetera and I think spiced zucchini crisps would be great.

Is that Emeril's Air Fryer? If so, is it any good? If not, what brand is it?

Posts: 18520 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use this more than our regular oven by a factor of 5. If you air dry first then the crisping would obviously be much quicker.

https://www.breville.com/us/en...ts/ovens/bov800.html

look at reviews online.

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried to dry it. However, there was once this Mexican restaurant in Austin (Los Tres Amigos) that the chef made battered deep-fried zucchini that was to die for. He had several write-ups in the paper. Of course, he would never divulge his recipe. I tried to emulate it but never came close.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I've never tried to dry it. However, there was once this Mexican restaurant in Austin (Los Tres Amigos) that the chef made battered deep-fried zucchini that was to die for. He had several write-ups in the paper. Of course, he would never divulge his recipe. I tried to emulate it but never came close.

Tip the bus boy $100 to get the recipe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a damn good idea, I wish I had thought of that! Moot point anyway as this was in 1980 + all the restaurants that were are gone + the new ones now too due to the current crisis. I feel for the folks in that industry as well as the bars or anywhere where the dependency of success in their business was tied to social interaction.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks boom stick!

Posts: 18520 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
We can Zucchini relish made a case of pints yesterday, perfect with most meats.

kk alaska

Posts: 950 | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different strokes for different folks. I love zucchini fried or steamed in a regular meal. I can tomatoes for salsa but don't waste my time on vegetables that no one wants to eat anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:

I had a $22 piece of antelope once in Dallas, asked for minor guidance (not the recipe) and got a little advice.
Later attempts to duplicate it got close enough to suit me.

I make a zucchini mincemeat now and then for pies.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14340 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post