New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right down the road...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Another 'score'! Found a neighbor just a few miles from me who milks A2/A2 cows. Picked up a gallon yesterday. Look at that cream line! Perfectly clean too. Good to know she knows what she is doing.

One reason I prefer A2 milk is this snippet from Wiki:

A2 milk is a variety of cows' milk that mostly lacks a form of β-casein proteins called A1, and instead has mostly the A2 form. Non-cow milk, including that of humans, sheep, goats, donkeys, yaks, camels, buffalo, and others, also contain mostly A2 β-casein, and so the term "A2 milk" is also used in that context.

Are you allowed to buy raw milk where you live? I like being able to buy right from a local person and cut out the middleman. Plus, unprocessed milk is better, all of the nutrients are still there.

I make cheese on occasion and will try doing some mozzarella once I get some more rennet.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my Uncle had an interest in a dairy, + I remember all that fresh milk in S/S vats, ice-cold + getting a dipper full. The best taste ever.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day growing up, many of our neighbors had milk cows, as most of them had between 6-12 kids. We didn't live out in the country, but lived in a semi-suburban area. Lots of orchards, vegetable fields and gardens. My one grandfather had a ranch way up one of the local canyons in the mountains and once a year we'd go up and help him butcher beef and pigs and mutton. Fresh side pork was one of my favorites. But the beef I had to get used to, having eaten venison most of the year. And, I never took a liking to mutton at all!

Posts: 18516 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid + we were stationed in Germany + living in a Gasthaus, they had caffee trinken at about 10:00, no breakfast. I asked just ONCE for a glass of milk + was told if I wanted milsh, I could climb the hill + milk the coo myself.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo That's hilarious.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my early years, before our dairy farm was destroyed by a tornado, I had fresh milk every day. My Dad would pasturize a single gallon for us and the rest went in to the local dairy. For an occasional treat, we'd stop at the dairy for ice cream. Kind of nice to know the ice cream could have made from our own milk.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat fresh. I have some rennet and plan to make some cheese.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
In one of the places we lived when I was young, we'd get whole milk from an Amish farm up the road.
Most of the time we'd drink it like that, sometimes skim the cream for strawberry shortcake.
I miss it.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14327 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to get fresh milk every day growing up, as we had many neighbors who had milk cows. (They also had between 6-12 kids each). Big Grin

Posts: 18516 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was listening to a program on the radio and they were talking about milk. They said that pasteurized milk actually inhibits calcium absorption and the process does something with phosphorus. It's the opposite with raw milk.

~Ann