THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Preparing For The Unknown    Anyone running an "Extensive" CACHING Program......???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone running an "Extensive" CACHING Program......???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not a few five gallon buckets.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you meaning caches spread out over a large territory? No one does that where I live. Smart people certainly preserve food but few actually live in places like Alaska where you have the ability to go for miles or days over unoccupied country.

If I did I sure would have some kits put out. I keep emergency supplies in my vehicles but nothing for long term survival.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes....Spread out over many valleys to retreat to. Had 35 survival caches over about 60'ish miles of wilderness. Post #2 on this thread addresses the theory. https://survivalforum.survival...-is-a-wonderful-read

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done as much as I can here where I live + I prefer to stay where I am + protect what I have rather than to bug out; besides, I figured out a long time ago that I don't want to live in a "Mad Max" movie scenario.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I've done as much as I can here where I live + I prefer to stay where I am + protect what I have rather than to bug out; besides, I figured out a long time ago that I don't want to live in a "Mad Max" movie scenario.

But at 75 y/o this project has motivated me hike roughly 6 miles most days to check on things, or to replace things, or "Up-grade things", it is a great fitness motivator. It is also a "Covert" scouting system, as I am constantly inventorying the delicious wild game along each route. Beats getting obese watching the TV'thingie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have a great set-up, Sourdough. I should have found a way to make it to Alaska when I was younger, I would have fit right in. Too late now but I have a very good property where I currently live. It's very private and I am surrounded by land that no one else lives on (it's still private property) and I could very easily survive on this place if needed.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Question needs to asked.

What are you running from and why.

Do like living under a tree or in a hole in the ground.

How long would you live that life style.

Do you plan to fight your enemies.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Question needs to asked.

A man be "Not" Running away, if he is going "Home" to the wilderness.

YES.

Till DEATH.

No ENEMIES, to fight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:
Question needs to asked.

YES.

Till DEATH.

No ENEMIES, to fight.

Then why do you need caches.

Unless you plan to be many miles from your home for many days.

Then one would make plans to have enough for that time period.

I am a firm believer in not having all ones eggs in the same basket.

But if your not worried about people taking your stuff.

The amount needed to survive until you get help or back home doesn't have to be much.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:
Question needs to asked.

YES.

Till DEATH.

No ENEMIES, to fight.

Then why do you need caches.

Unless you plan to be many miles from your home for many days.

Then one would make plans to have enough for that time period.

I am a firm believer in not having all ones eggs in the same basket.

But if your not worried about people taking your stuff.

The amount needed to survive until you get help or back home doesn't have to be much.

Why do most preppers prefer to be in their "Home".....likely because they feel safer there.

I would be at home deeper in the wilderness.....and I would feel safer there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be at home deeper in the wilderness.....and I would feel safer there

The question is safer from what.

What SHTF scenario are you preparing for.

What would drive you to go live off your caches.

You all ready live in a remote area. What would drive you to go deeper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I would be at home deeper in the wilderness.....and I would feel safer there

The question is safer from what.

What SHTF scenario are you preparing for.

What would drive you to go live off your caches.

You all ready live in a remote area. What would drive you to go deeper.

I was in training from age five for the next ten years, in survival, and prepping to live off the land alone, that was mostly the 1950's. That plus 52 years in Alaska, most (but not all) in remote and alone.

Should the SHTF (which I understand is unlikely) I would feel safer alone deeper in the wilderness, then interacting who who might show up at my cabin.

If you read the the thread I referenced on "Survival Magazine" it should be clear the motivation, also included my shack burning to the ground in January at 3:AM and me naked escaping in my undershorts, barefooted, in five feet on snow. Understand that "prepping" is not a "HOBBY" for me. I feel most prepper's desire to stay alive, but they assume someone will come and save them, or at least help them. I make "NOT" that assumption. Even at 75 y/o I am still currently burying cases of canned Red Salmon.

What do I think is going to "happen". I have zero idea, but I damn sure intend to NOT be asking anyone else to help save me, even if the SHTF lasts decades. In short I am of the opinion most "preppers" are delusional as to how awful the future could get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As my past mother-in-law who lived in downtown Dallas once said, "I would not want to be the only person on my block with the last bottle of water." Yes, A.S. I, like you don't expect "someone to save me". I am more concerned by the exodus of the city dwellers + unprepared showing up needing anything. I know at this point that that scenario is fantasy, but it could be a reality in a very short time. The best we can do is to do as we said in Boy Scouts years ago, "Be Prepared". To quote Lord Louis Mountbaton (viceroy of India), "Always be prepared, if you are always prepared you are never sorry." Admitadly, that didn't help him when the IRA blew up his yaught + killed him. One only has to let down their guard once.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
There any many scenarios that one can prep for.

Wither one can expect help or not depends on many things.

I to was raised to be prepared and go it alone in many situations.

That is why I have been a prepared person my whole life.

You talk about your shack burning down.

A more real possibility then most others.

If one has any type of out buildings having a cache of necessary items in one of them makes the most sense.

Talking about that many years ago two men went to their hunting shack about 10 miles from the nearest town. Before cell phones.

Being city folks they parked their truck locked it and took the keys into the shack.

Habit as you know someone could steal your Truck.

About one in the morning the woke to the shack on fire. They escaped in their shorts.

In the winter temps in the -30s.

They hiked to the next major road and a while later they got lucky and someone came by.

I say lucky even with that road being a state highway it doesn't get a lot of traffic at that time of year.

Some frozen parts but they lived.

Lesson learned spare key on the truck bug out bag in the truck. Bug out bag handy to grab going out the door. Preplanning playing the what if game.

Having the proper mind set is very important.

Could go on and on.

With all the preparing the best scenario is not having to use them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the most possible type of SHTF situation is the loss of the power grid for an extended period of time. In fact, that happens a lot. This past winter was a real eye opener and another reminder. The question is, will/do people learn from these things?

A current situation is those who live in places which get hurricanes. There is obviously a lot of damage done in these situations and yet the people who live there are rarely prepared.

I think some do prepare but overall most do not. Some people are incapable be it age, medical issues or economic situation, however, making a community plan for such a situation should be done. Have say, apartment blocks made a plan? What about your subdivision? I still think most people will remain unprepared for major grid loss and always will. Relying on government, local or federal may cost you more than you wish in such a situation.

~Ann