New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 YOA Rice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Opened a 5 gallon plastic bucket of rice that I put in storage 40 years ago.

Cooked up a cup full. Just for test purposes.

Slight off flavor nothing that one could really put a taste to.

That was plain right out of the pot. Added just a little favoring and one notices nothing.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Do you keep those moisture absorber packets in the bucket? I forgot the name of them but I am using them in my dry goods now.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I did not.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Selica-jel packets. I have that sealed 7.5 gal. buckets as well. Works great for rice + beans. BTW, when your stored beans get older + get crunchy; use bottled water, if you can to eliminate the effects of calcium in the water on the beans. Usually makes them like new beans.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I have heard dry beans are hard to rehydrate when they get old. I may end up canning some next time I grow such. One of my goals is to perfect a nice batch of porky pork and beans. The store bought stuff is not the same anymore. No pork in 'em.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No kidding. My mother is 90 + that is one of her complaints, not enough (or any) pork in the pork + beans. As I have to remind her frequently, "The past is another country, they do things differently there." But as long as she is sitting behind her sewing machine life is good + she stays occupied sewing + watching old westerns.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was the best part of opening a can of pork and beans-searching for and getting the pork! Big Grin

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
That was the best part of opening a can of pork and beans-searching for and getting the pork! Big Grin

Yes, it was. I know there was more than one piece in the can when I was a kid. Anyway, P&B will be a good winter project for me.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
No kidding. My mother is 90 + that is one of her complaints, not enough (or any) pork in the pork + beans. As I have to remind her frequently, "The past is another country, they do things differently there." But as long as she is sitting behind her sewing machine life is good + she stays occupied sewing + watching old westerns.

Your mom sounds like a gem. Cherish her!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do Ann. I got a call this evening that she is in the hospital with dizziness issues but all the tests read healthy cardio-vascular; only a possible inner ear situation. Will know more tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch, hope it is nothing serious. Falls would not be a good thing at her age.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I talked with her this evening + she feels O.K. just tired. They recommend a walker + she is not alright with that yet but does know that she can't risk falling. This seems to be a not uncommon situation. Take your meds + a bit of therapy, which she gets to start tomorrow morning. Thank God it was not more serious. BTW, sent you a P.M.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
She's doing better today after therapy. We moved a laz-e-boy recliner into her sewing room as that is her comfort zone + she has to sleep at a 45 deg. angle to keep the room from spinning. She just needs to chill for a couple of days + put sewing + Matt Dillon on the back burner.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aww, good news for your mom.

Gotcher note. Thank you!

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere the Russians ate meat from a prehistoric animal they had dug from the frozen north!

They said it was fine.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post