New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweet potatoes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I like 'em and decided to grow some this year. I put in six slips and got a pretty good harvest. There are some regular potatoes in the photo as well but most of that is sweet potatoes.

I also found out sweet potatoes need to be cured. I read up on it: https://morningchores.com/curing-sweet-potatoes/

I came up with a way to do it efficiently for myself. I loosely arranged the tubers in two 5 gallon buckets and took the shelves out of one of my cabinet style egg incubators. Both buckets fit inside. I will be able to adjust the temp and control the humidity really easy in the incubator. They have fans which will keep the air circulating too. I may need to switch to a flatter tray for the water and will if needed but for now the coffee can is full of water.

~Ann

Posts: 19130 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I have never got to that point. Both times I tried to raise them the dang deer dug em all up and ate them.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 516 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry well, they will do that + I can't lame them. Have you tried using the spare tire plan for sweets as well as russets? This is primarily useful for small garden plots but also easier to protect. Plant your tubers in good soil in an old tire. When it grows enough, add another tire, whenit grows some more add another tire. It goes with out saying that one needs to add soil as well on the addition of each tire tier. All of the deadly nightshade specieces will form their above ground stock into root stock once buried. Just don't get carried away; I have only had good success with 3-4 layers of tires. For protection + use the same material as my tomatoes cages. 12 G. concrete mesh wire. It comes in a roll + even when you roll it out it will go back to the form you want it. It's 5' tall + it works to keep the deer out.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post