Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild food books--recommendations?
 Login/Join

posted
I am old, and like books. I have several wild food/foraging books, and I would like your suggestions on this topic. Seems that most books have little info on food one can sink one's teeth into, instead focusing on plants that make teas. I have Euell Gibbons, his is the best I have read so far.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 14 June 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Field guides like the Peterson and Audubon series are excellent sources for learning edible plants and fungi. There are many books out there that cover foraging. Look up 'Falcon Guides'. You will need to find some that focus on the area/region you want to learn about. As you learn the plants/fungi you will want to get some more specialized books that have detailed keys to identify look alike items.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, when I was in the Boy Scouts (back in the dark ages) there was a great emphasis put on identifying edible plants, berries, + fungi. Amazon might have copies from the half of the last century. Remember the old adage, "All mushrooms can be eaten, some just once."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I eat many species of wild mushrooms but I have been studying them for a long time too. I am active in a state Mycology group. Fungi are very interesting and many are easy to identify.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was rereading one of my WW1 aviation books + Raoul Lufberry in the Lafayette Escadrille had a habit of cruising the woods after a rain + collecting mushrooms. The French chefs were always glad to get them.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Believe it or not, when I was in the Boy Scouts (back in the dark ages) there was a great emphasis put on identifying edible plants, berries, + fungi. Amazon might have copies from the half of the last century. Remember the old adage, "All mushrooms can be eaten, some just once."

Yup my BSA handbook of 1966 or so was great for edible plants dancing tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! I had the privilege to have great scoutmasters back then that really taught us a lot + since they were all retired navy veterans there was a high emphasis on knots too. Times seem to have changed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed in the new Sporting Classics magazine in their list of books for sale they are listing a reprint of the Boy Scout Handbook from 1911. That should be interesting.