New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rec for home defense shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For home defense firearms it comes down to a couple things. First and foremost you have to be able to use it easily in the dark, in a highly stressful situation. Some folks are very familiar with a semiauto pistol. A lot aren’t- Is the clip in? Round chambered? Safety off? Wheel guns are much easier to operate for most folks. Pick it up and star yanking the trigger. With shotguns the same thing applies. You must be able to bring it into action hurriedly in the dark. Whatever you choose I’ve heard good things about the mini shot shells and slug shells for home defense. Years ago I was staying at my girlfriend’s house when the back door was kicked in at 3 am. I jumped up and ran down stairs yelling to get the fuck out! I arrived in the kitchen stark naked with nothing in my hands, as the bandits exited a second or to before I got there. Point being, it mostly happens so very very fast, in the dark, while asleep and you simply react. No firearms were in the home, and truthfully I was standing in the kitchen ready for mortal combat before I was really even aware of it. Let alone having the presence of mind to grab a gun, load it, chamber a round, and safety off blah blah blah.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An 870 with a bullpup conversion is pretty handy indoors.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the weapon breaks, which one will be easier to find replacement parts?

Go with the pump gun.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15052 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't dry fire the 870, the firing pin will break.
Have a spare.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mossberg 500 and it's a perfect home defense shotgun. Over 50 years and 10 million sold. Big Grin I have it with night sights, and loaded with double 00, slug, double 00, slug. . . .well, you get the picture. Big Grin

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benelli 1014, what a fun shotgun. A little heavy but so is my model 12 with a 21 inch barrel and Cutts Comp.-Cam

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott, the firing pins will break on ANY shotguns if dry fired for any length of time, as well as a lot of 22s The 870s, are not inherently weaker than any other.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post