Find
Notify
Tools

Chief Red Cloud's Speech
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

RED CLOUD'S SPEECH

"I will tell you the reason for the trouble. When we first made treaties with the Government, our old life and our old customs were about to end; the game on which we lived was disappearing; the whites were closing around us, and nothing remained for us but to adopt their ways,—the Government promised us all the means necessary to make our living out of the land, and to instruct us how to do it, and with abundant food to support us until we could take care of ourselves. We looked forward with hope to the time we could be as independent as the whites, and have a voice in the Government.

"The army officers could have helped better than anyone else but we were not left to them. An Indian Department was made with a large number of agents and other officials drawing large salaries—-then came the beginning of trouble; these men took care of themselves but not of us. It was very hard to deal with the government through them—they could make more for themselves by keeping us back than by helping us forward.
"We did not get the means for working our lands; the few things they gave us did little good.
"Our rations began to be reduced; they said we were lazy. That is false. How does any man of sense suppose that so great a number of people could get work at once unless they were at once supplied with the means to work and instructors enough to teach them?

"Our ponies were taken away from us under the promise that they would be replaced by oxen and large horses; it was long before we saw any, and then we got very few. We tried with the means we had, but on one pretext or another, we were shifted from one place to another, or were told that such a transfer was coming. Great efforts were made to break up our customs, but nothing was done to introduce us to customs of the whites. Everything was done to break the power of the real chiefs.

"Those old men really wished their people to improve, but little men, so-called chiefs, were made to act as disturbers and agitators. Spotted Tail wanted the ways of the whites, but an assassin was found to remove him. This was charged to the Indians because an Indian did it, but who set on the Indian? I was abused and slandered, to weaken my influence for good. This was done by men paid by the Government to teach us the ways of the whites. I have visited many other tribes and found that the same things were done amongst them; all was done to discourage us and nothing to encourage us. I saw men paid by the government to help us, all very busy making money for themselves, but doing nothing for us.
"Now do you not suppose we saw all this? Of course we did, but what could we do? We were prisoners, not in the hands of the army but in the hands of robbers. Where was the army? Set to watch us but having no voice to set things right. They could not speak for us. Those who held us pretended to be very anxious about our welfare and said our condition was a great mystery. We tried to speak and clear up that mystery but were laughed at as children.

"Other treaties were made but it was all the same. Rations were again reduced and we were starving—sufficient food not given us, and no means to get it from the land. Rations were still further reduced; a family got for two weeks what was not enough for one week. What did we eat when that was gone? The people were desperate from starvation,—they had no hope. They did not think of fighting; what good would it do; they might die like men but what would the women and children do?

"Some say they saw the Son of God. I did not see Him. If he had come He would do great things, as He had done before. We doubted it for we saw neither Him nor His works. Then General Crook came. His words sounded well but how could we know that a new treaty would be kept better than the old one? For that reason we did not care to sign. He promised that his promise would be kept—he at least had never lied to us.

"His words gave the people hope; they signed. They hoped. He died. Their hope died with him. Despair came again. Our rations were again reduced. The white men seized our lands; we sold them through General Crook but our pay was as distant as ever.

"The men who counted (census) told all around that we were feasting and wasting food. Where did he see it? How could we waste what we did not have? We felt we were mocked in our misery; we had no newspaper and no one to speak for us. Our rations were again reduced.

"You who eat three times a day and see your children well and happy around you cannot understand what a starving Indian feels! We were faint with hunger and maddened by despair. We held our dying children and felt their little bodies tremble as their soul went out and left only a dead weight in our hands. They were not very heavy but we were faint and the dead weighed us down. There was no hope on earth. God seemed to have forgotten.

"Some one had been talking of the Son of God and said He had come. The people did not know; they did not care; they snatched at hope; they screamed like crazy people to Him for mercy; they caught at the promise they heard He had made.
"The white men were frightened and called for soldiers. We begged for life and the white men thought we wanted theirs; we heard the soldiers were coming. We did not fear. We hoped we could tell them our suffering and could get help. The white men told us the soldiers meant to kill us; we did not believe it but some were frightened and ran away to the Bad Lands. The soldiers came. They said: 'don't be afraid—we come to make peace, not war.' It was true; they brought us food. But the hunger-crazed who had taken fright at the soldiers' coming and went to the Bad Lands could not be induced to return to the horrors of reservation life. They were called Hostiles and the Government sent the army to force them back to their reservation prison."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Duncan (read below) is right. Chief Red Cloud was too.

Also, could it be that the millions and millions of illegals being let into our nation now are the new wave of what was done to the first peoples? Have you ever considered that? Are you too busy to care? It will be too late once your property is taken away from you.

Don Duncan
Read this, and HEED THE MESSAGE, YOU WHO WOULD HAVE THE WELFARE NATION THE LIBERALS ARE PROMISING YOU.WHILE THEY ARE BECOMING RICH, RICHER AND RICHER WHILE THE POPULATION OF THE NATION IS BECOMING POOR. POORER, AND POORER. WHILE RED CLOUD WAS TALKING TO HIS PEOPLE, HE WAS ALSO PROPHESYING TO US OF THE U.S.A. OF 2021. HE WAS A WISE AND PERCEPTIVE MAN, TELLING US OF THE "CHIEFS" IN WASHINGTON D.C. ARE DOING TODAY, JUST AS THEY WERE DOING TO THE INDIAN POPULATION OF HIS DAY. THANK YOU LORD FOR CHIEF RED CLOUD.

~Ann

Posts: 19152 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for printing the Redcloud speech.

The Duncan stuff? Well that's just another example of fear mongering that unfortunately goes on far too often today. cuckoo

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

The Duncan stuff? Well that's just another example of fear mongering that unfortunately goes on far too often today. cuckoo

So you would be good with the gov't making ALL of your life decisions? What you eat? When you eat? Where you live? How you live? Etc...

Seriously?

~Ann

Posts: 19152 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda reminds me of that Kristofferson song, "The law is for protection of the people".
So thank your lucky stars you've got protection,
Walk the line + never mind the cost,
Don't wonder who those lawmewn were protecting,
When they nailed the saviour to the cross.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

So you would be good with the gov't making ALL of your life decisions? What you eat? When you eat? Where you live? How you live? Etc...

Seriously?

Of course not. Why would you think they are out to do that, just because some conspiracy theorist says so? Besides if you can't tell the difference between Redclouds situation then as a defeated people that many white folks didn't even consider human and the present society in general there's nothing more for me to say.

As I said earlier entirely too much trash gets passed as "fact" on the internet from those have much to gain by keeping a segment of society stirred up.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except we know, Roger, that there are many facts.

Let's just look at this: How will 200,000 destitute and unskilled illegals per month affect our economics?

Not at all or?

Someone has to pay for them.

There are already too many 'Americans' on the welfare dole. I don't have a problem with elderly widows but that's not who's taking up the system. It's the able bodied people raising entire families on it.

I see that landlords are being told to take a hike in many cities. Renters are not required to pay to live. What happens when landlords lose their property? Gov't to save the day and own it? Then the onus is on the taxpayer to fund 'rent'. I don't know how the present trend isn't concerning you. I do see direct parallels to what was done in the past. It's pretty clear to me our 'leaders' want significant change to this country.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, they certainly do + it is not beneficial for the nation. The welfare state has been a travesty since the early 70s. Paid not to work, HMMM? + expect positive results. Now import your unwashed minions for no other purpose than to fill the Democrat voting box but totally blind to the damage being done to our nation. And Ann you are right; someone does have to pay for them; us. That is the major falicy in the Dems agenda, that money comes from a great teat in the sky + not from those of us who do pay for it. One of my fondest memories was when in 1980 Is was working in another shop + Reagen had just got into office + that was the 1st time I had ever seen any black bucks show up looking for a job. Reagen got in + shut off their welfare. I loved it. These guys were well built but had hands like velvet. They never hit a lick in their life. Since they didn't know anything about the trades, they were delegated to plumbers helpers I:E working a shovel. They came in the 1st day with tears in their eyes the size of horse turds + bloody hands as none of them had EVER hit a lick in their life. One of them actually lasted 3 days.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't it just swell of the gov't to let us know there will actually be 400,000 for the month of October. Bloody nice of them!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I have said before; this is nothing but political dirty pool. Bringing in illegals + giving the "free lunch programs" + thus getting more Democrat voters..... 'Ahem, for how long?' These idiots seem to think that money comes from the teats of heaven. Our nation is being destroyed from within by 'leaders' who are too stupid to even realize that they are evil + wrong. And voting? Look what a travesty that has become. I do agree that it is the best system but it needs to be done HONESTLY! And that is a problem that I am seeing daily, that the idea of screw you before you can screw me mindset is getting more prevalent + common decency has taken the back seat. People can not + will not live this way for long. I see the problems + I wish to God that I had the answers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our nation is being destroyed from within by 'leaders' who are too stupid to even realize that they are evil + wrong.

Oh, they absolutely know what they are doing.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:
Our nation is being destroyed from within by 'leaders' who are too stupid to even realize that they are evil + wrong.

Oh, they absolutely know what they are doing.

CORRUPTION.......Nations are destroyed by CORRUPTION.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got a point there, Judge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

He was rather eloquent. You've probably already read it but if you haven't, you should read 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee' by Dee Brown.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post