New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prepping in the past
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We called it the "Golden Age of Camping" and it helped give birth to the Scouting movement.

https://www.amazon.com/Camping...e%2Caps%2C419&sr=8-2

https://www.ourstate.com/the-golden-age-of-camping/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me also add that there are no more informative books on this subject than the Foxfire books -- everything from splitting roofing shakes to butchering hogs to planting by the moon to how to build and run a moonshine still. The mountain folk wisdom collected in these volumes is priceless.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was our Bible/ required reading in the 60s.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Let me also add that there are no more informative books on this subject than the Foxfire books -- everything from splitting roofing shakes to butchering hogs to planting by the moon to how to build and run a moonshine still. The mountain folk wisdom collected in these volumes is priceless.

Funny how times change. Back then it part of a return to nature movement. Now it's called prepping for the end of the world. lol

space

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall my ex-mother in law saying "You know, I don't think I want to be the last person on the block with a bottle of water."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a complete set of the Foxfire Books. Sadly, they went up in smoke along with the barn and everything in it. CRYBABY

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is a sad story. I remember reading in Brownell's newsletter a few years ago about a gunsmith whose bookkeeping practices were well, not normal so to say. He figured that at the end of the year if he had any money left over then that was what he made for the year + could not be convinced otherwise. Right before pulling an audit his place of business caught fire + everything went up in smoke, records + all. The ONLY good story I've ever heard about a fire.