New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire making the old way
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have you thought of how to make fire without the matches, lighter, and chemical help.

I have made fires with flint and steel, wood stick with bow and using a small magnifying glass. The trick was to have a fine dry lint as a starter. Make fine slivers of dry wood and you are ready to stay warm or cook.

I was a boy scout back 70 yrs ago and our troop was in a contest for summer games. I won the fire contest with the flint and steel method. Also be careful with the flint chips it will flake off and I got a piece in my eye. Had to call the DR's nurse at night to have the piece removed. No damage!! I still use some of the skills learned by Boy Scout programs and the manual from that old days are full of things to make and learn.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les, I keep a lighter and one of those magnesium and steel fire starters in each of my vehicles. Since I burn wood for heat I have multiple fire starting things around the house.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les, the knowledge that we learned in the (old) Boy Scouts has proved invaluable over the years. Back in the day they taught us all kinds of skills. A lot I have forgotten because of non use but a whole lot I still use on a daily basis. Case in point; my scout masters were retired war 2 naval officers who still had access to the base stores, so our camping trips were very real + taught real life survival skills. Not to mention all the knotwork that is essential to any navy man. That like math is something you use everyday. Oh + Ann, I can relate to having lighters,etc. Several years ago I was up on 4 stacks of scaffolding to solder up some bay window arches + having quit smoking, I was still used to having a lighter in my pocket. WRONG! I had to climb down + go to the local 7-11 + buy a lighter. I now keep lighters handy even though I still don't smoke.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, I have never been a smoker but know the value of fire starting tools. Lighters are quite convenient.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ann,

My question was to have people manage without all the things you have prepared at home. What would happen if some group came and took all of the prep things away? I have always studied the art of survival in the wild. I believe I could live if I could get water to drink. That will require a knowledge of making water safe to drink.

I can remember back before WW 11 and we were all in ration coupons. My mother would cook things with butter as we had a cow for raw milk to make our own butter. A few chickens and a hog which we killed and butchered in town make grease for making lye soap. Our washing machine was an iron pot and a stick to polk the clothes.

When the President in 1940 made his speech on the attack in Pearl Harbor we went down the road to our friends that had a radio. We were to poor to own such a device.

Think of this a man on a TV show was dressed to look like someone as a real survivor and he told someone to wait for a few more minutes and the roasted SKUNK would be ready to eat. I guess you would have to dine out with the man around his camp fire. I will pass on his barbeque lunch.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me and a pal were talking the other day, if shit hits the fan one thing to sell out real quick that no one thinks of is lighters/matches.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Hello Ann,

My question was to have people manage without all the things you have prepared at home. What would happen if some group came and took all of the prep things away? I have always studied the art of survival in the wild. I believe I could live if I could get water to drink. That will require a knowledge of making water safe to drink.

I can remember back before WW 11 and we were all in ration coupons. My mother would cook things with butter as we had a cow for raw milk to make our own butter. A few chickens and a hog which we killed and butchered in town make grease for making lye soap. Our washing machine was an iron pot and a stick to polk the clothes.

When the President in 1940 made his speech on the attack in Pearl Harbor we went down the road to our friends that had a radio. We were to poor to own such a device.

Think of this a man on a TV show was dressed to look like someone as a real survivor and he told someone to wait for a few more minutes and the roasted SKUNK would be ready to eat. I guess you would have to dine out with the man around his camp fire. I will pass on his barbeque lunch.

Gotcha, Les. Most people in the present time would not survive.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got that right!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a book that's worth reading. "ONE SECOND AFTER".

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 514 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the magnesium starters in my cars and have a Zippo and numerous BBQ lighters. These are only a dollar each at the local dollar store.

Posts: 3650 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just force of habit I suppose but I have ALWAYS had several big boxes of the "Ohio Blue Tip" strike anywhere kitchen matches. I don't know if 'strike anywhere' matches are still available. Most likely not, "for our own good". I remember when the law was passed back in the 70s to not allow the striker to be on the same side as the matches in the flip-over paper packets that were free everywhere. I'll bet they are gone too. Also in the 70s when we used to have minature wooden boxes of kitchen matches at the check out for sale; at our local market he had a sign that said, "2 cent boxes of one cent matches are now a nickel."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not seen strike anywhere matches for a very long time.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3650 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know that the "Lucifers" are still available + that the working conditions for matchmakers has VASTLY improved over the last 150 years!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Next time I do an Amazon order they will be on my list.

~Ann