THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Preparing For The Unknown    Practicing with "Set'Gun" (but not deploying)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practicing with "Set'Gun" (but not deploying)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have you practiced setting up a set'gun....??? Or even researched its value as a "Meat" procurement tool in a "POST" SHTF" environment.....??? Not actually deploying to the field, which is currently illegal. But practicing on one of your private ranges, on your property. Just so that you have a solid understanding in the set-up, should you or your team be in need of game meat.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much easier just to own and know how to use traps and snares.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

If your found yourself 2600 miles from your survival traps a snares......post SHTF, would that be an inconvenient time to try to figure out had to just you firearm for a setgun.....??? Having a massive and diverse yet appropriate skillset could be handy in a SHTF environment.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:

If your found yourself 2600 miles from your survival traps a snares......post SHTF, would that be an inconvenient time to try to figure out had to just you firearm for a setgun.....??? Having a massive and diverse yet appropriate skillset could be handy in a SHTF environment.

Well if one ones to leave is firearm expose to the weather. To be taken from by any one that happens buy. To being destroyed by larger animals.

Go for it.

Set guns were normally not regular firearms but specially made ones.

One would be far better using ones firearm for hunting then as a set gun.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:

Well if one ones to leave is firearm expose to the weather. To be taken from by any one that happens buy. To being destroyed by larger animals.

Go for it.

Set guns were normally not regular firearms but specially made ones.

One would be far better using ones firearm for hunting then as a set gun.

"WHO" would take the set'gun......if there was no other humans around......??? And you don't know anything about the history of set'guns, in Alaska or Africa. Set'guns "WERE" a standard tool for trapping and predator control, and food procurement. They were "NOT" special built, there were excess "Regular" firearms.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were "NOT" special built, there were excess "Regular" firearms.

There were many specialty built set guns. on the market. Here is a couple of pictures.

https://www.guns.com/news/2012...fur-getter-sure-shot

Sure one can cut down a regular firearm for the purpose or just use it has is..

They were used for sure but good leg hold traps and snaring material.

Did away with there need.

Play with them if you want.

You mention extra guns well if you have room for extra guns.

You have room for traps and snaring material. A much better use of the weight penalty.

8lbs of cable well give you dozens of sets compared to 8lbs of guns. Same with traps except for the biggest one can have many more traps then one firearm.

If you have excessive firearms and no snares or traps sell some of the firearms off and by some snares and traps.

The snares and traps well get you more game in the long run.

Even if you want to get bears, a bear snare set up cost 60 dollars. A 600.00 dollar gun well get you 10.

Far better to have 10 chances then one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
p doggie shooter........Reading your posts (carefully) in several of the different forums here, you express zero personal "FIRST HAND actual boots in the FIELD EXPERIENCE". Yet you jabber endlessly on every subject, pretending to be knowledgeable, while it is clear your "limited" knowledge is derived from your skills at internet search's. I don't think you are a "Troll", I do think you are "Pretending" to be what you are obviously "NOT".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I have decades of trapping experience.

Made more money during my school years trapping then working summer jobs.

Been a hard core hunter for over 5 decades hunted, back pack camped, many states including Alaska also hunted in Canada.

Use rifles, shotguns and handguns to shoot and take game with. When one adds the number of car hit and wounded large animals I shot and killed with handguns.

I would say I have far more experience then most on seeing how of various handguns calibers preform on large game.

When it comes to black bears I shot them with rifles, shotguns, slugs, buckshot and a few different handgun calibers. While hunting and performing my job. Not many can claim using that variety of weapons and ammo on bears.

Spent a lot of my life beginning at a early age trapping camping, hunting, back backing.

Country farm boy born and raised.

Professional firearms instructor certified by 3 different certifying agencies. taught many people how to shoot and defend themselves.

Armorer certified by colt Ruger and Glock

Rifle, pistol and shotgun.

Spent over 3 decades as LEO carrying firearms every day on the job. I still carry a handgun very Day.

Might just give me a little insight what it is like to be armed all the time and what it takes to carry a handgun.

But listed here for you again.

But then I am just a guy living in the lower 48 without any experience.