New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rolling blackouts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looks like we will be experiencing more than empty shelves this summer.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be FUN. Plus, the sun is being excessively active.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 309 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, great if you have solar. Talked with a customer the other day that said due to the issues on the power grid possibly not being able to keep up due to the rapid growth that the powers that be have figured out how to enter your home via your smart phone + control your thermostat remotely. Won't affect me but sure would a lot of folks.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a smart phone...???? Is that one of those Cell-phone thingies....????

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 309 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I hear. I don't have one either.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My cell phone saved me from certain disaster today. They do have some positive merits. tu2

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know they do. My son is supposed to bring me a new one by but I insisted on keeping the same phone #. After 40 years in business I can't just up + change my #. Besides, if a crisis occurs on the road (which I think you might be referring to, Ann) then you need help + there are no pay phones anymore. Besides I live in the country + if I left that 1951 Chevy on the side of the road how long would it be there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, these phones are a mini computer and more. You should be able to have it set up to your desired phone number, probably have to go to the Verizon store or whoever your chosen access company is. The technicians will set it up. Let them do that.

On my long drives I use the GPS feature via Google on it. It will announce not only your route and tell you where to turn, etc it will tell you about speed traps, accidents, etc. It will tell you what roads to take to avoid tolls, find you restaurants, etc if you so desire. I can give it voice commands- "Google, take me home." And it does!

About an hour from home yesterday it told me to get off I-44 and take Route 66 which was odd. I listened and did. Not long after getting on 66 I could see that both directions of the interstate were blocked for miles. That was damn handy and saved me from hours in stalled traffic.

Ninety percent of the time I just use it as a telephone but mostly the cameras on it. It is there and available if I need more features. I don't enjoy using it for internet stuff but have access when I travel. Saves on boredom.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I depend up on mine for work. 95% of it is strick work related. This site is one of a few breaks my phone has.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 514 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I know that those things have some super new technology + I also know that there is no future on priding oneself on ignorance, but I have been anachronistic for some time. My middle son (the techno guy) has my phone + new chip + supposedly my same land line # but he just needs to get it to me + show me how to use it. I know it will be an innovation after the high priced AT+T land line.I remember years ago before I had a fax, I thought I didn't need one but after having one, I didn't know how I ever lived w/o it. Since all my sheet metal drawings are geometric, a picture helps a lot. Try to describe the color red. I'm looking forward to the learning experience + not paying AT+T through the nose for only getting telemarketers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, you will find your new device to be quite handy once you are familiar with the features. Business write off too.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm all for any tax write-offs I can get. My new CPA (had him 5 years now) has really saved me a lot of money over the last guy I had. He was so afraid of the IRS that he was just CYA for himself + having his clients pay too much. I don't want to do anything illegal but I do want any deductions that I am due.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
I depend up on mine for work. 95% of it is strick work related. This site is one of a few breaks my phone has.

Kids got me an Android, no phone connection, but the world is at my feet wherever I find WiFi when I travel. Rest of the time I use a flip phone. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post