New
Find
Notify
Tools

The long cold winter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have noticed that people are beginning to rise up. SW Air had an embarrassing day. I believe truckers and others are going to do something similar.

FBI is now targeting parents who are concerned about their children's education or ... Lack of it.

Large businesses firing essential workers for not complying with illegal mandates.

Massive numbers of illegal aliens being trucked all over the country.

Are you ready?

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are we going + what am I doing in this handbasket? There is so much stupid BS going on that it's hard to target just one. There is truly NO one at the helm of this ship of fools. Perhaps. Truckers + shippers have been compromised by the Delta variant for one + the very real fact that the crews will be quaranteened abord ship during Christmas; most Christians don't like that so there has been massive quitting. The FBI has no business in your children's educational process. As to the large amounts of wets at the border; why were there already trucks waiting for them? And why are they being shipped to red areas? We know the answer to this last one. Ship them + get them voting privileges to vote dem (free ride party). This is really sickening. To answer you Ann, yes I'm ready individually, but the prospects of the nation dwindle daily. s I just posted in Misc. about the metal shortage. Well, I called my supplier in Houston + the cost has more than doubled in 2 months, going from $20.00 a sheet to $52.00 a sheet. When you can get it. Thanks for the economy boost, Joe.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, in a distorted way. I remember reading a sci-fi story many years ago that is point perfect here. Heinlein or Bradbury, I don't recall.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So from what I am seeing much of the trucking issue is due to kommiefornia regulations.

No independent owner/operators allowed (only union big biz hauling companies) and no tractors prior to 2011 are allowed on their roads. Then there are new tractor regs coming up on 'modernization' and no one is investing in those sort of machines due to the cost.

I am seeing reports fuel prices may push 50% increase for winter. Working class going to hurt...

Lumber prices still high and supply nil.

I am getting ready to block trees that I cut down last year. Been cleaning up my chain saws as the weather is finally cooling off here. Garden is still going good though winding down soon. I will can some more beans yet. Trying to get more tomatoes to ripen, they are slow. Will dig sweet potatoes soon. Still have squash, watermelons, shelling beans and pumpkins to collect.

Speaking of metal. I have been twisting my brain on trying to find something suitable to act as a divider so I can double stack pints in my canner. I need some sort of flat, rust proof metal plate with holes in it to do this.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Speaking of metal. I have been twisting my brain on trying to find something suitable to act as a divider so I can double stack pints in my canner. I need some sort of flat, rust proof metal plate with holes in it to do this.

Do a search for "Trivets". https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H...2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill:

Maybe something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-...a-386693254928&psc=1

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill:

Maybe something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-...a-386693254928&psc=1

Those will work if they fit. Gotta go measure...

***Yep! Will work! My 1930's canner and me thank you.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a good find at a very reasonable price. I couldn't make it myself for that price. It's amazing the things we find on Amazon. (Now if their drivers can ever get my address right!) Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I placed my order this morning and it is supposed to be here on Monday. That's pretty fast!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is. If you're using prime its usually next day or after delivery. Last night I ordered a book + it will be delivered tomorrow (Sunday).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have prime but really don't order very often. Being I am pretty way out in the countryside I doubt there will ever be overnight delivery here. I know Amazon has a new warehouse in Springfield, MO but everything I ever order seems to come from Kentucky.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything comes to me by Amazon. They leave it at the bottom of my mountain. And I have to backpack or sled everything up to the cabin. In the past I have gone to Los'Anchorage once a year, end of October for supplies, but with this virus, I am safer with zero human contact, so no trip to the big city this year.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than the Truffle salt, almost everything I buy from Amazon books. I'm out in the country too (getting less) but even though my UPS box at the end of the driveway is marked, the Amazon drivers can not differentiate between 2900 + 2950 so damned near ALWAYS leaves my pks. at the last abandoned driveway, when they don't just leave them on the road.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All great societies collapses began and ended with immigration and melting of societies with different religion and morays.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed; + on that same subject I would recommend folks to read Catch-22; in this context, the chapter "Nateley's Old Man". A great book, I have read it at least 15 times + always find something new, but you will find that this subject applies.