New
Find
Notify
Tools

AM Radio
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having an AM or CB might be a good idea, especially if one is out in the country. I have FM in my shop but really, due to the recent craziness as well as the current anarchy going on, every time I hear that buzzing sound that prefaces the "usual" statement, that says this has been a test of the warning system, etc., ad nausea. Kinda reminds me of my childhood during the cold war.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same memories. I do think things will get worse as we get closer to November. The election year antics have gone beyond just crazy and now is all about violence and anarchy.

~Ann

Posts: 19128 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, you have hit the nail squarely on the head. Unfortunately for everyone in this nation we are all painted by the same brush concerning our mutual real concern on the infection. And you are correct on the association between the virus + anarchy. The game plan is to tear America apart + they're doing a good job with a lot of help from here in our nation. I'm not a croucker but the closer we get to November the carrier it gets. Hell, after the last election all we have got is a bunch of 3-year-olds stamping their little feet because they didn't get their way.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't explain in enough words how glad I am to be living very rural in these times. I bought my place seven years ago with this situation in mind. I saw the writing on the wall with the 0bama years spreading so much taint.

~Ann

Posts: 19128 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! I bought this place in the early 70s @ $750.00 an acre + now the appraisers are calling for $44K per acre. You are right about the writing on the wall. I miss the way it was but doesn't everybody? I recall Jeff Cooper's comment that "The past is another country, they do things differently there." Well, we just keep on gardening, canning, taking care of stock + being thankful that we do live a rural existence. Loading your own ammo doesn't hurt either. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 18520 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Yes indeed! I bought this place in the early 70s @ $750.00 an acre + now the appraisers are calling for $44K per acre. You are right about the writing on the wall. I miss the way it was but doesn't everybody? I recall Jeff Cooper's comment that "The past is another country, they do things differently there." Well, we just keep on gardening, canning, taking care of stock + being thankful that we do live a rural existence. Loading your own ammo doesn't hurt either. Big Grin

NC, I see you list Austin as your locale. Isn't that city now a nutsy liberal paradise?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed Ann. It is just that + getting worse. I actually live in the hill country just outside of town but Austin as a locale is somewhere everyone can relate to as to area (or so I thought when I set up my acct. in 2006). It doesn't matter as the friends that I have made on AR know where I'm located. I moved out of Austin in 1973 + bought this place. But I still have liked to see friends there on occasion. ately though due to the heavy traffic increase + the virus I have not been into town + I do miss the social interaction at my book clubs. They are mostly all liberals but nice (if wrong) people. It always amused me at our book club meetings at Austin's biggest book store, "Book People" that whenever the girls needed a knife to trim a display, etc. they always looked to me as none of them carried as much as a knife + they knew I did. I didn't even mention or display my CHL weapon, no need as it would only make the ladies nervous + like I said, they are nice people. Being in the "in-crowd" of the book store enabled me to meet several authors in close settings + get autographed books. R/E Clive + Dirk Cussler, Craig Johnson (Longmire), Bill Clinton (big woo but I bet someday a signed copy might be worth something)No need to comment, I feel the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine NOT carrying a knife. There is always one in my pocket. Very few men carry one anymore. I think that is pathetic!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall a line from one of the Sherlock Holmes stories that when going out on a stakeout Holmes asks Inspector Lestrade, "Do you have your revolver?" Lestrade says, "I've got my trousers on don't I? Whenever I have my trousers on I have a pocket + if I have a pocket I have a revolver in it." I have adopted that comment + used it over the years when asked if I am armed."I've got my pants on don't I?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
NC,
I grew up 40 miles east of Austin and in the early '50's we could drive over to Austin to go to movies. Only about 60,000 at that time. I will not go thru the I35 as it is a wreck and another on a wet day. It can get very cold down here as in 1949 it went to -3 degree.

Being a RV'er fulltime gives me time to go look over an area. I find a month or two can make a world of difference when people find out that I am a pro gunsmith. Everyone has a broken gun, but I don't work any more.

I think Ruidoso Downs , NM is the best place for a cool summer and things to do. I believe you have to be there 6 months to get a resident hunting permit. We have not found radio or TV in some of these places. The Mexican people were here in Texas before most other types. We had a couple of fire fights and they gave up in 1845. I met a person last yr who had a greatgrandpa at Goliad when Santa Anna killed all these soldiers. He was spared because he had a ranch and the Mexican Army got beef from his ranch. The way things look now they may be taken it back in about 10 yrs, by voting us out. We need that fence built.

We could use some more gun loving people to help us out.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are quite right Les.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't imagine NOT carrying a knife. There is always one in my pocket.

Yep. That, and a firearm. Big Grin

Posts: 18520 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, "I've got my pants on, don't I?." Funny, we came up with that in college,+ those of us from that group still use the term. Says it all IMO. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great little book that will explain why the medium wave frequencies ( am) behave the way they do is “Discover dxing” by John Zondio.

Posts: 242 | Location: Lake Linden Mi | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post