New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's in your pantry?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Kind of a take on the "what's in your wallet" commercials. I may have done my last batch of pod beans for the season. Hoping I can eek another batch out but may just be stuck with fresh beans, which is okay too. I have no idea how many pints of beans I have put up. A lot for sure. Plus I have many jars still from last year.

These are from today. Most are romano type green and yellow 'broad' type pod beans. My first year growing them and highly recommend. Beans are so easy to grow and even 'process'.

I will still have some beets to can yet. There are a lot of tomatoes waiting to ripen yet. I will pull up my sweet potatoes soon and still have dry, shelling beans yet. Hope to have more edible wild mushrooms yet too. I will dig Helianthus tubers as I need them over the winter. Planting garlic and elephant garlic now.

I'll start deer hunting by the first of the month. I only plan to put one up this year. I have half a dozen squirrels already in the freezer waiting for a clever winter recipe. I'll cull cockerels for soup in December and also pressure can them.

I am pretty well stocked and am blocking firewood now as well. My saws are cooperating real well this year. I reckon I have mastered small engine tune-ups. Smiler Once I get my blocked wood moved up to the house for splitting I will proceed to cut down trees for next year's firewood. Several for mushroom culture as well.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, you are a real trooper tu2 .

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several for mushroom culture as well.
Please elaborate.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cultivate shiitake, Hericium and other mushrooms. These are in addition to the wild edible mushrooms I know and collect.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ann,
What type of cooker are you using ? My grandson's wife is trying to learn to can. I can remember
my mother using a pressure cooker about 1940. We always had a large garden and chickens, a milk cow, and pigs in town on a half city block. People now days would put us in jail for killing our hogs in the back yard and curing the hams with a salt of some kind. Mother making the lye soap after getting the grease from cooking the meat.

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Hey Ann,
What type of cooker are you using ? My grandson's wife is trying to learn to can. I can remember
my mother using a pressure cooker about 1940. We always had a large garden and chickens, a milk cow, and pigs in town on a half city block. People now days would put us in jail for killing our hogs in the back yard and curing the hams with a salt of some kind. Mother making the lye soap after getting the grease from cooking the meat.

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Les,

Pressure canners are different from pressure cookers in general. Canners work at higher temperatures for longer times than cookers. My canner is an antique from the 1930s and still functions perfectly.

~Ann