New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another interesting thing about rabbits
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Rabbits are unusual animals in that they will raise another rabbits kits. Most animals do not take in others offspring. Here is quite the example. One of my dogs brought a wild cottontail kit to the house several weeks ago. It's eyes were barely open. One of my silver fox had a recent litter and I put the wild kit in her nest box. Today, I will be setting the cottontail kit free.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool story
thanks for sharing

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my cats brought in a cottontail kit a few days ago, alive of course, more fun to torment that way. I took it away + put it back outside but I have feelings that it will die just the same. I have seen this many times in the past. They have a real Prey "mentality" for lack of a better word. It doesn't take much for them to just die.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, that they do. I figured this one would die when I caught it up to release it. I was surprised it didn't. They do not tame down in captivity at all.

~Ann

Posts: 19123 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No they don't + nature takes its toll + we are but observers who sometimes intervene.That being said, there is NO reason to not at least try.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post