New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel prices, again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
O.K. here I am beating the same dead horse, but now with embellishments. No point in reiterating any comments on that bozo in the white house as we already know he is a puppet + a clown. The point here is concerning steel prices; which I keep up with, as it is my livelihood; is that there is not enough coming from the mills to supply the American public with general products; I.E. Cars, A.C. equipment, refers + freezers, ad nauseum. Cars are now going for as much as 10K over sticker; my A.C. clients can not get equipment to finish their jobs, etc. This was brought home again to me today when I was talking to my supplier. Along with other metal products I make stove pipe; + right now there is no S/S available.(required by code) Well I can't make it either if the raw materials are not there. I have a woman now who needs it but it doesn't exist so I can make it for her IF I had the stainless steel. I called the supplier out of Houston + they have NO stainless + haven't for the last 9 months + there is no projection from the mills, so of course my rep could not quote me a price so I could not quote q price to the woman who wants to vent her wood stove to keep her grandkids warm. Sorry if that was a bit too dramatic although true. The cause of course is blamed on the Ukraine issue now + I would not be at all surprised if that were not true. But the fact still remains that we as as nation are undersuplyed with a product that we make here (or used to) + our problem as a nation rests with an anti-American who resides in D.C.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this point I believe the whole supply chain issue is deliberate. It is to create hardship and economic chaos. A lot of us cannot afford these costs when material is available. Blend that with the additional cost a laborer/ business owner has to add on to cover their additional expenses and well, everyone loses.

Things are going to be bad for a while I think. It will not end well.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true. Even though I now have galvanized sheets on the floor my customers can't afford the finished product as it has tripled in price. Add to that that everyone has their hand in your pocket, from the grocery stores to the insurance companies.My homeowners went up an additional $50.00 a month even though I have never made a claim + my automotive bill was 1/2 again what I was quoted over the phone. I'm really getting fed up with legalized theft + dishonest practices.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things are really getting out of hand. I think we are stuck with the situation the rest of 0biden for sure. Who knows what will get voted in after that.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wait until you see the price of lawnmower blades. My mower uses 20-1/2 x 2-1/2 x .204 thickness. Last year they were 9.99 each. Now they are 16.99.

When will this current nightmare end.

Posts: 1255 | Location: Florida | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I sharpen I may actually see a nice uptick in business if prices like that continue.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There you go Ann, look at that silver liner.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm OCD and have three sets of blades for my shitty Husqvarna riding mower. Getting ready to spruce them up now. Grass is starting to come up.

Just have one set of blades for my brush hog. It's a pita getting them off and back on. I hoist the riding mower up in the air with the tractor loader to change out blades.

I'd like to buy a new lawn mower. Was hoping by now prices would be more reasonable for those newer type with the deck out front (zturn?) but alas we have covid and war pricing so I will spin a wrench and keep the POS rider going as long as I can. So much for supporting the economy...

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Since I sharpen I may actually see a nice uptick in business if prices like that continue.

Do you use a Gray Stone, Red Stone or the Belt design?

When will this current nightmare end.

Posts: 1255 | Location: Florida | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Belt. I like my Jet belt and disc sander for mower blades. Also use it for ax and hatchet sharpening.

~Ann

posted Hide Post
The secret weapon for sharpening mower blades in a 4 1/2" cordless disc grinder. Has enough power to sharpen quickly but not enough to be awkward as a cordless under the mower.

Raise the mower, put a piece of cardboard or plywood down and sharpen them right on the machine. Long as the mower blade isn't mangled and you visually keep both sides the same it's quite close and never any vibration issues. Do a touch up every 3rd tank or so of gas and it's a lot easier on your machine and does a better job cutting.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post