New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unsung heros- equipment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, for putting small game on the table in trying times and the best of times I would have to rate this inexpensive pellet rifle top notch. Plus, the ammo is cheap and easy to store and not subject to weather issues.

I took this 30 yard shot from a window. Target was high up a large oak tree. I don't like squirrels that set up their house next to mine because they make a mess of my garden. Anyway, dinner tonight.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shot good food. Don't forget a good knife can be used a lot.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 519 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get some squirrels in my oak + cedar trees around the shop + my Blue Heeler goes crazy wanting to get at them but just jumps as high as she can + tears the bark off the trees. I need to shoot a few if for no other reason, to give her satisfaction for a job well done. Smiler

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
Good shot good food. Don't forget a good knife can be used a lot.

Jerry, this thread is for any and all equipment. If you have some 'pointers' (pun intended) on say a selection of knives one should have please add it.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, you mention knives. I have beaucoup, including a gift from a dear friend recently passed of a Randall that he had made for me from the factory + my name embossed on the blade. It was a 5 year waiting period. That knife is too nice to use, if that makes any sense. Oh, I would if need be but as I have others I keep his one pristine. My regular knife that I carry is a Puma "White Hunter". I bought this from a co-worker in 1973 when he said he needed $10.00 for milk for his baby + he was broke until payday. I told James, Hell,man I'll loan you $10 bucks until payday but he wouldn't "borrow' money, so I said O.K. + bought the best knife I have ever carried in the field. I will admit that it took many hours to work an edge on the top quarter section of the blade; but is a great boon in swift gutting + skinning

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be a knife collector if I had the dineros. Love them.

I have a couple of hand made (one is especially well made- for me) skinning type knives. A friend of mine (actually an AR regular) who knapps rock has has offered to make a blade for me to haft if I find a nice enough piece of chert around here.

How cool would that be?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another valuable item - solar lights.

I started using these when I lived in the northeast as the power outages were very frequent there. As you can see the tops fit on half and full gallon pickle jars. They make for excellent long lasting lighting indoors with the loss of electric grid. Just put 'em back outside to charge each day.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My eldest son knaps arrowheads + spearpoints. he got really good at it + wanted to take it one step further + signed up for a class at U.T. When the teacher saw what he could do he told him, you don't need this class; you're already better than I am. On the solar lights issue; I keep them outside on the walkways around the house. Inside I installed 2 propane wall mounted lamps. 1 at the top of the stairs + one above the cook stove. in a power outage + I can still see + cook.