THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Pakistani Hunting Outfitter and Galt Big Game Hunter Charged
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pakistani Hunting Outfitter and Galt Big Game Hunter Charged
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.justice.gov/usao-e...d-conspiring-smuggle

PRESS RELEASE

Pakistani Hunting Outfitter and Galt Big Game Hunter Charged with Conspiring to Smuggle Endangered Ladakh Urial Trophy into the United States

Friday, March 24, 2023

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of California

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A federal grand jury returned an indictment yesterday against Pir Danish Ali, 43, of Pakistan, and Jason Keith Bruce, 49, of Galt, charging both defendants with conspiracy to violate the Endangered Species Act, to make false statements, and to smuggle goods into the United States, and charging Bruce with smuggling and violating the Endangered Species Act, U.S. Attorney Phillip A. Talbert announced. The indictment was unsealed upon Bruce’s arrest this morning.

According to court documents, Pir was the CEO of a hunting outfitter and guide company based in Pakistan, and Bruce was a recreational big game hunter who hunted as a client of Pir’s company. Beginning in February 2016, Pir and Bruce conspired to hunt a Ladakh urial, an endangered wild sheep, in Pakistan and smuggle the resulting trophy from Pakistan to the United States. (“Trophy” means a whole animal, or a readily recognizable part of an animal, that is prepared for display.) Shortly before the hunt, Pir told Bruce that a recent survey had shown a local population of only 180 animals. The defendants agreed that the export of the Ladakh urial trophy would be achieved through bribery and fraud by declaring it to Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) as a different species and presenting forged documents purporting to be issued by Pakistani authorities. Bruce paid Pir $50,000 for the hunt, during which he shot a Ladakh urial.

On March 29, 2018, Bruce flew into San Francisco International Airport from Pakistan carrying eight trophies in his personal baggage, including the Ladakh urial trophy. U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents stopped him and alerted the FWS. After the FWS seized the trophy, Pir and Bruce conspired together to lie and did in fact lie to the FWS agents. Further investigation revealed that, between 2013 and 2018, at least 25 hunters who had hunted with Pir’s company presented forged documents to import at least 97 hunting trophies into the United States.

This case is the product of an investigation by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Office of Law Enforcement. Assistant U.S. Attorney Katherine T. Lydon is prosecuting the case.

If convicted of the conspiracy, Pir and Bruce face a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. If convicted of the smuggling charge, Bruce faces a maximum statutory penalty of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine, and if convicted of the violation of the Endangered Species Act, Bruce faces a prison term of up to one year and a fine of up to $50,000 or both. Any sentence, however, would be determined at the discretion of the court after consideration of any applicable statutory factors and the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, which take into account a number of variables. The charges are only allegations; the defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Updated March 24, 2023

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh oh....

If you hunted with Danish, you may get a knock on your door....

Ouch...

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://fox40.com/news/califor...o-the-united-states/

CALIFORNIA

California man accused of smuggling endangered Pakistani sheep trophy into the U.S.
by: Matthew Nobert

Posted: Mar 24, 2023 / 01:07 PM PDT

Updated: Mar 24, 2023 / 01:14 PM PDT

(KTXL) — A Galt man is facing a possible 20-year sentence for working with a Pakistani individual to smuggle into the United States a Ladakh urial, an endangered sheep, according to the Department of Justice.

Jason Keith Bruce, 49, of Galt and Pir Danish Ali, 43, of Pakistan, face charges of conspiracy to violate the Endangered Species Act, to make false statements and to smuggle goods into the United States, the DOJ said in a news release Friday after Bruce’s arrest.

Bruce is also charged with smuggling and violating the Endangered Species Act.

According to the DOJ, Bruce, a big game hunter, met Ali, the CEO of a hunting outfitter and guide company based in Pakistan.

In February 2016, the two men allegedly began to draw up plans to hunt a Ladakh urial, an endangered wild sheep, in Pakistan, and bring back to the United States the resulting “trophy,” the whole animal or part of the animal that is prepared for display.

According to the DOJ, Ali is said to have informed Bruce before the hunt that there were around 180 of wild sheep in the local population, and that Bruce paid Ali $50,000 for the hunt.

The DOJ also says that the two individuals agreed that they would need to declare to U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that the animal was a different species, and that they would have to present forged documents allegedly from Pakistani authorities.

Bruce returned on March 29, 2018, at the San Francisco International Airport carrying eight trophies in his personal baggage, including the Ladakh urial, according to the DOJ.

Customs and Border Protection agents stopped Bruce and called in agents from the Fish and Wildlife Service, who seized the Ladakh urial trophy.

The DOJ said that, after seizing the trophy, Bruce and Ali “conspired together to lie and did in fact lie to the FWS agents.”

The DOJ also said that an investigation revealed that at least 25 hunters who hunted with Ali’s company forged documents to import at least 97 hunting trophies into the United States between 2013 and 2018.

“If convicted of the conspiracy, Pir and Bruce face a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine,” the DOJ statement reads.

“If convicted of the smuggling charge, Bruce faces a maximum statutory penalty of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine, and if convicted of the violation of the Endangered Species Act, Bruce faces a prison term of up to one year and a fine of up to $50,000 or both,” the statement continues.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
What am I missing? I don't think Pir Danish is strapped for money. Why would he risk trashing his great reputation for $50,000?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
It may be the other 25 hunters being investigated and possibly indicted as well. At $50k per hunter, it adds up.
Agree, Pir is well healed...

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would someone even want to shoot an endangered specimen on a Pakistan hunt when there is a wide variety of legally huntable game to start with ? Behaviour of this kind needlessly brings ethical hunters into total disrepute. If I met the individual concerned I would want to administer a thorough arse kicking, or worse. Also, hard to fathom why Pir Danish would condone this. Just disgraceful.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Very interesting and especially, troubling. The American, Jason Bruce, lives just 45 minutes from me but I don’t know him, thankfully. But I know several other local hunters who’ve hunted Pakistan through Danish, so I hope they’re not among the others with allegedly forged documents.

What a disgrace for Danish Ali. Something he absolutely did not have a good reason to do, given his financial and worldly standing. Guess he won’t be coming to the USA anytime soon…. Or any country he could be extradited from.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shocking .

This guy has a tv show I believe .

Guess I won’t be going back to Pakistan with Danish any time soon.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone wish to hunt an animal that is illegal to hunt?

SCI have their INNER CIRCLES.

May be this belongs to the DARKER CIRCLES! rotflmo

And knowing how well attuned to hunting competitions, I won't be surprised if SCI starts a new category.

Come and Join Our DARKER CIRCLES!

Qualifications require a criminal charge and served jail sentence! clap

Seriously though, what happens to trophies Pir still has which belong to hunters just hunted with him?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a series of what’s app message from Danish last night . He says the urial in question was 100% legal to hunt . He also said some other things that I won’t repeat.

I have also seen the documents authorizing the hunt .

Remember innocent until proven guilty.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have a saying here.

When you shake hands with a Pakistani official, count your fingers! rotflmo

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Troubling allegations to be sure.

I hunted Pakistan last year with Caprinae and I know a few other hunters on these boards who have too. One thing I noticed on the urial sheep is they look similar to each other, Blanford, Punjab, etc., basically small bands of regional sheep that must have different DNA that only blood tests can differentiate. Physically they all looked alike to me...

I tried to rationalize why someone would shoot a known endangered species and try to pull it off as a legally hunted species. Even if you did get it imported you could never claim it for what it was. And any club like FNAWS or SCI would have an obligation to report you if you tried to enter it in their books... strange. There has to be a back story. In the meantime, my trophy from a year ago has still not shipped. I wonder if this has anything to do with the current predicament.

I hope, for the sake of the sport in that country, that this is cleared up. Pakistan is a fascinating country to visit even though I didn't spend as much time as I would have liked there.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ and USFWS, what a pair.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My guess is the client and the outfitter did nothing wrong.

They asked to hunt an animal and they were provided with a permit.

How that permit was obtained is another matter.

Sadly, they are the ones left holding the rotten results!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The DOJ also said that an investigation revealed that at least 25 hunters who hunted with Ali’s company forged documents to import at least 97 hunting trophies into the United States between 2013 and 2018.

This is the statement I would worry the most about...

Not knowing documents are forged is not an excuse and will not get anyone off the hook on this....

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
There is a reminder here for all of us. Even if we participate in a legal hunt in a foreign country with reputable people, and I do believe Danish Ali to be reputable, we have to be aware of and comply with all regulations of the country we live in when coming home.

Assuming the hunt was legal in Pakistan, if the hunter had brought back nothing except photos, I’m doubtful there would be anything of substance to charge anyone with. Unless I’m missing something, the only action that triggered this was bringing the trophy back onto US soil. That opened up whether the paperwork was proper and legitimate. If I understand this matter correctly, all charges revolve around alleged actions surrounding the paperwork and ESA once the hunter landed on US soil. No trophy coming back, no paperwork for said trophy, no laws violated. Am I missing anything here?

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
There is a reminder here for all of us. Even if we participate in a legal hunt in a foreign country with reputable people, and I do believe Danish Ali to be reputable, we have to be aware of and comply with all regulations of the country we live in when coming home.

Assuming the hunt was legal in Pakistan, if the hunter had brought back nothing except photos, I’m doubtful there would be anything of substance to charge anyone with. Unless I’m missing something, the only action that triggered this was bringing the trophy back onto US soil. That opened up whether the paperwork was proper and legitimate. If I understand this matter correctly, all charges revolve around alleged actions surrounding the paperwork and ESA once the hunter landed on US soil. No trophy coming back, no paperwork for said trophy, no laws violated. Am I missing anything here?

Sadly, America, and Western countries, have lost all common sense when it comes to conservation.

There is CITES, which governs the export of some species.

CITES allows the producing countries a certain number to be exported.

The West, in their infinite stupidity, have their own convoluted rules.

Once a CITES export permit is issued, no country should stop it from being imported.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Sadly, America, and Western countries, have lost all common sense when it comes to conservation.

There is CITES, which governs the export of some species.

CITES allows the producing countries a certain number to be exported.

The West, in their infinite stupidity, have their own convoluted rules.

Once a CITES export permit is issued, no country should stop it from being imported.

Saeed, we are in 100% complete agreement about this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.thenews.com.pk/pri...ven-after-four-years

FROM DECEMBER 27, 2022

Inquiry into smuggling of hunting trophies remains inconclusive even after four years

By Imdad Soomro December 27, 2022

KARACHI: The Customs Intelligence and Investigation, Karachi has initiated an inquiry into the smuggling of hunting trophies to the United States of America, allegedly by two American citizens with the connivance of a Pakistani firm.

The case was referred to Customs (I&I) by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) in October 2021 and an inquiry was initiated after a passage of some 14 months.

According to the official record the case came to the knowledge of Samar Hussain Khan Deputy Conservator of the Wild Life Department of the Ministry of Climate Change, Islamabad on July 12, 2018, following a US government complaint regarding the illegal export of hunting trophies to the US by two American citizens. So almost four years later investigations into trophy smuggling have not been completed.

Khan informed the FIA that the US Fish and Wildlife Service has confiscated some hunting trophies from Jason Keith Bruce and George Latham Myers who presented forged documents for Customs clearance. The investigation was assigned to the Corporate Crime Circle (CCC) of FIA, Karachi. On completion, Sub Inspector Mehwish Iftikhar of CCC concluded prima facie that Jason Keith Bruce and George Latham Myers illegally exported the hunting trophies to their home country with the connivance of the Pakistani firm which was not registered in SECP and by producing fake documents for their clearance. It was registered with the Ministry of Climate Change in 2015 but it was subsequently blacklisted.

SI Mehwish sought permission for registration of the case under Section 34,420 468,471 PPC against the two American citizens and the owner of the trophy outfitter firm. She also sought to determine the role of customs officials involved in the illegal smuggling of hunting trophies. The FIA’s Zonal board, however, sent the case to the Director General of Customs Intelligence and Investigation in October 2021.

Saqif Saeed, Director of Customs Intelligence and Investigation, Karachi told The News that an inquiry was conducted and Danish the owner of the hunting trophy outfitter firm appeared before the Customs (I&I) and recorded his statement. He submitted some documents in his defence and claimed that his firm was restored with the Ministry of Climate Change in 2018 and all other allegations are incorrect. He further said an Assistant Director has been appointed as inquiry officer and the case would be dealt with on merit. This reporter also approached Danish for his version, called on both of his numbers, sent him detailed text messages at those numbers and waited for over a month for his response, but till the filing of this story, he has avoided giving any response.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This makes me wonder about a few things. Things that apply to any guided hunt in another country.

1- How do we, as clients, know the outfitter has legal authority to hunt the area in which the hunt was conducted ?

2- How do we , as clients , know the validity and authenticity of the export documents utilized?

I seem to recall another post some years ago alleging various illegal matters. I cannot find it.

Also, I wonder about the status of the other person named in the article ?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
This makes me wonder about a few things. Things that apply to any guided hunt in another country.

1- How do we, as clients, know the outfitter has legal authority to hunt the area in which the hunt was conducted ?

2- How do we , as clients , know the validity and authenticity of the export documents utilized?

I seem to recall another post some years ago alleging various illegal matters. I cannot find it.

Also, I wonder about the status of the other person named in the article ?

We never know for sure.

And add the USFW and their rules and you are well and truly up the proverbial creek!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The late Clayton Williams spent a boat load of money fighting the USFWS over importation issues with one of the Asian sheep. He and the other co-defendants ultimately prevailed, but only after a long drawn out battle and considerable expense.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Told you so!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Innocent until proven guilty, but media sees this differently.

It was big news when the Ladakh Urial was taken and lots of posts about it in social media. So it's hard to believe anyone thought it was another Urial.

You wonder how this investigation is going on for such a long time. Surprising they haven't figured out what happened yet.

quote:

I am not a lawyer ( thank God Big Grin) but there must be a big difference between someone who doesn't know he is hunting without paperwork because it was faked and someone who is actively taking part in the faking.
If you as a hunter do your due diligence and officials fake paperwork you are not a criminal but the victim.

Not saying the hunter here did any of the above.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I repeat what I said earlier.

I am certain neither the client nor the PH did anything wrong.

This is Pakistan.

And the officials there make the Nigerians look like angels!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What a mess. Thank God the Deputy Conservator of the Wild Life Department of the Ministry of Climate Change is finally on the case.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of info. The indictment is quite entertaining. I have copies of various permits, bids, etc. I also have a variety of videos on this matter.

I am not a lawyer. Having said that, I have to think the hunt itself was perfectly legal. What happened after that is where the trouble started.

If what is alleged is true, Jason Bruce must be a f'ing idiot. Based on these documents, I see Danish as having much less of a problem. However, some of the things alleged against him are quite entertaining. Again, alleged.

If I have learned anything from this it is to be careful what you put in writing, even joking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got a series of what’s app message from Danish last night . He says the urial in question was 100% legal to hunt . He also said some other things that I won’t repeat.

I have also seen the documents authorizing the hunt .

Remember innocent until proven guilty.

He can show those thing in court! Or does he not wanne come to USA!

Posts: 68 | Location: Holland(Netherlands) | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Why would someone even want to shoot an endangered specimen on a Pakistan hunt when there is a wide variety of legally huntable game to start with ? Behaviour of this kind needlessly brings ethical hunters into total disrepute. If I met the individual concerned I would want to administer a thorough arse kicking, or worse. Also, hard to fathom why Pir Danish would condone this. Just disgraceful.

There two permits issued for the species in question. They were issued based up on bids. I have seen the bids by at least one other well-known company. Indus had the high bid.

The game department was supposed to keep the animals for scientific research. That makes perfect sense to me.

After everything I have seen, I believe the hunt to be legal. Everything after the hunt is where the problem started.

Most of the charges are against Jason Bruce. Danish is only charged with conspiracy. This makes me wonder if the charges against Danish are to help get his cooperation against Jason Bruce?

I will repeat what I said earlier. Be careful what you put in writing even when joking. It can come back to haunt you.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:

There two permits issued for the species in question. They were issued based up on bids. I have seen the bids by at least one other well-known company. Indus had the high bid.

The game department was supposed to keep the animals for scientific research. That makes perfect sense to me.

After everything I have seen, I believe the hunt to be legal. Everything after the hunt is where the problem started.

Most of the charges are against Jason Bruce. Danish is only charged with conspiracy. This makes me wonder if the charges against Danish are to help get his cooperation against Jason Bruce?

I will repeat what I said earlier. Be careful what you put in writing even when joking. It can come back to haunt you.

Larry, I think you may be onto something here. My understanding is also that this is all about Jason Bruce bringing this animal into the USA. Getting Danish to testify against him would make the case against Bruce much easier. Also, unless he was to come to the USA, what’s the point of charging a foreigner of such a crime beyond leverage?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
If Mr. Bruce knowingly brought in a trophy he knew was endangered and had the paperwork falsified to do so, I am afraid his international big game hunting days are numbered...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
If Mr. Bruce knowingly brought in a trophy he knew was endangered and had the paperwork falsified to do so, I am afraid his international big game hunting days are numbered...

Or hunting/fishing anywhere in the USA.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of bloody hypocrites!

The US Fish and Wildlife!

First thing in their opening page they quote their membership to CITES!

And THEY are the bloody idiots who totally ignore CITES when it suits their convoluted "we are better than you" attitude!

The US and Europe is doing more damage to REAL conservation than anyone else!

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:

And THEY are the bloody idiots who totally ignore CITES when it suits their convoluted "we are better than you" attitude!

Well, except for China…

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, except for China…

I was talking about normal countries and normal people!

China is on a different planet when it comes to animals!

Remember Prince Philip?

He said "if it flies, floats, swims, crawls or walks, the Chinese will eat it!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone I know has confirmed with the game department that two permits were issued. Once again , I am convinced the hunt was legal. Too many things point to that.

Bringing the urial into the US is the problem.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
So why is there a problem?

If the animal was legally hunted, and the USFAW are quoting CITES, why is there a problem??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So why is there a problem?

If the animal was legally hunted, and the USFAW are quoting CITES, why is there a problem??

Jason Bruce apparently brought it into the US with using forged documents and misrepresented what the animal was .

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Please read this article, so you know what can legally be hunted in Pakistan

A lot of hunters were being offered animals that are illegal to hunt.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1612363

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote