Find
Notify
Tools

Sika deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted
I used the search function on this. But with everyone's photos not showing up. I cant tell.

I was watching wild Japan last night. They were filming on the island of Hokkaido. They were showing the Stags in rut. I have never seen such stags. They were very impressive. If you Google them, the images you find don't even compare.

Im sure just like any other deer. Size has to do with age, genetics and habitat. Are there other places in the world were you can hunt sika's of this size?

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can get Sika in Ukraine that are as big as the ones in Japan.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched the same show and thought the same thing. Wasn't there a AR member organizing hunts in Japan?

Ski+3

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
In NZ we get good sized sika deer but it is a lottery.

The stock is also not totally pure as there has been hybridization with red deer for over 80 years.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are over 12 subspecies of sika deer with the Manchurian or Dybowski being the largest bodied. Used to be the Dybowski was a separate subspecies but now listed as identical or near identical to the Manchurian. The Hokkaido are 2nd largest I believe but grow the largest horns. Smallest are the 'Japanese' or C. nippon nippon subspecies.

As Naki has mentioned about genetics polluting, the sika will also interbreed among subspecies thus making true classification unclear.

As Caracal has mentioned you can get Manchurian in Ukraine. (I think there was a hunted listed just recently in the Offers Forum).

Sika are on almost every game ranch in Texas. The ones most found are Japanese and some strain of Dybowski.

I took a Japanese sika back in September of 2007 on the old Y.O. Ranch. They are a really neat animal to see and hear (bugle like elk) in person.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in Japan a few times & taken some very nice Stags, it is a amazing place to visit & hunt, I also have a friend in Ukraine who outfits for big Sika Stags there !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That particular japanese island is home to an unusually genetically large subspecies of sika deer.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wasn't there a AR member organizing hunts in Japan?

You're correct. There was a member posting such hunts for very impressive stags. However, it was an archery only hunt due to the restrictive firearm laws in Japan.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote