New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packing list for Kyrgystan?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been wondering what to take! I hear so many horror stories about Kyrgystan I want to be prepared. I was thinking of taking some freeze dried food for every day there as well as some treats.
We are going in the first 2 weeks of november and I suspect it to be cold? Any thoughts on clothing?
I just bought a couple pairs of real good Pants and will layer as best I can and finish with white outer wear.
Any thoughts would be great!

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I would look at taking a Sleeping bag that's good for -20 Degrees. It was 20 degree's when we climbed out of our Spike tent on the first mourning.We camped at snowline around 12,000ft Be in SHAPE!!! The thin air is TWICE as hard on you as you could ever imagine. I took Snicker's Candy bar's to eat daily and was glad I did. The food is bland.

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Fist off
If your flying Air France. Cancel your tickets and fly with someone else.

November, yeah I would say its going to be cold alright.

I did not get my Rifle or my clothes. Luckily I had some clothes in my pack and the other guys lent me somethings.

If you can. Pack a complete set of hunting clothes into your carry on. Wear your cold weather boots on the plane or tie them to your back pack.

We road horses most of the time. So I wore most of my layers all day. Years ago I shelled out the dough for nice Gortex rainwear. It has proven invaluable. I wear it as my outer layer on all mountain hunts.

As far as food goes. Some was good some not so good. I usually take cliff bars with me. one for each day.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Take enough freeze-dried food for you and your guides...no....seriously....haha Take a crappy pair of binos as well so they have something to use and not always using your good ones. Wear lots of layers, you'll get hot climbing but cold riding. Takes extra $20 and $100 bills. Take instant coffee if you are a coffee drinker. Take drink crystals and a water bottle

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure and take sunscreen and some lip balm with sunscreen. I burned the edges of my nostrels. Not much fun. Have a windproof layer to add into your clothing layers. Be sure to have clothing and boots appropriate for snow and cold. I spent a lot of time horseback there so be ready to ride...... a lot. Good glass is very helpful. Like mentioned take 2 pairs of bino's. Have a good backup in case your guide borrows yours. Good luck.
Bruce

Posts: 372 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. What kind of Temps will it be usually first 2 weeks of Nov? I am thinking -15 celcius?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wind will decide how cold it will be...

Buy a survival bag like this from Norway.. www.jerven.com

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

What are you thinking of for boots and hunting clothing ?

Also what rifle are you taking ?

We are hunting Kyrgystan in 2019, so I would be keen to see / share your gear list !!

Cheers

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
DO NOT scrimp on Gear. Use Layers. Expect Wind and Snow. You will get cold riding horses but will get to hot while hiking.Good Glass is a must. The guides have cheap binocs and will want to use yours.I also took a Spotting scope.

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I used 400 gram insulated Lowa Sheep Hunters with liners and Darn Tuff Hunter Over-the-Calf Extra Cushion Wool Socks and my feet never got cold.
Here is a Gear list.Just select what you think you would need out of it. PM me if you have any questions. I would be more than happy to help you.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Appreciated. Thank you

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I used a .264 Win Mag. shooting hand-loaded 120 Barns TTSX. Shots could be long and it's windy. I would recommend your most accurate 6.5mm-300 magnum.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
The water filter was $180 waste for me but it depends on which camp you are in. We spiked out the entire time and drank directly from high mountain streams. I never took it out of the bag. An in-Reach would be a suitable replacement for the Sat phone. Never took a stove either
and didn't miss it!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Looking at a suitable rifle caliber that will accurately reach out with stopping power and yet is comfortable for my wife to shoot as well. Taking one rifle between us and hunting together.

Narrowed the caliber to .300 WSM and .270 Win.

Has anyone on here hunted Siberian ibex with a .270 Win and would you do it again?

Comments and thoughts v much appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I had a SKINNER SCABBARD WITH BACK STRAP made for my rifle. It worked well while riding on horseback. I was glad I had it.

http://www.skinnersights.com/scabbards_20.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Skinner scabbard. I have one for each rifle. Call Andy with your length and he will make one in just about any color.

Ski+3
Kalispell, MT.

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with take extra optic's but do not give them to the guides afterwards. They will bother you for them and giving them away encourages them to bother the next guy. They just sell them and try to get the next pair.
Make sure if you let the guides use them to get them back every night. They will fain not understanding and try to keep them.
Really big pain in the neck.
It will be cold, windy, hungry and hard, but what an adventure. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote