Find
Notify
Tools

Marco Polo!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
OK - I jumped in with both feet!! Booked Tajikistan with Gregg Brownlee last week at convention. Going in Dec 2024 :-)

- Started with a personal trainer in early January
- Walk everyday I don't go to the gym
- Ordered the Kuiu Burner coat while at SCI (its incredible!)

Thinking about max MOA on my riflescope and if I need to change..

I know its two years away but planning is half the fun and.. I have other hunts before that one :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Scott!

That is one of my dream hunts. I’m looking forward to your hunt report.

I’ve had my eye on that Kuiu parka. Please let us know how it is in the field.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ha! No shit LOL!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the trust Scott, it's going to be a hell of a hunt!

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get in the best shape of your life...find a tall 50 story plus building and start walking the step..

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
Thank you for the trust Scott, it's going to be a hell of a hunt!

Greg

Thanks Greg! Looking forward it big time!!

Don't forget - I still don't have anything planned for 2023 :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on. Should be a great hunt. Are you going after Ibex as well?

Not that working out won't be helpful but I think the altitude will be the limiting factor. You could be in top shape but if you can only take a few steps at a time, it won't matter much. I busted my butt getting ready for the same hunt but probably would have done much better using that time doing some sort of altitude training.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
Right on. Should be a great hunt. Are you going after Ibex as well?

Not that working out won't be helpful but I think the altitude will be the limiting factor. You could be in top shape but if you can only take a few steps at a time, it won't matter much. I busted my butt getting ready for the same hunt but probably would have done much better using that time doing some sort of altitude training.

Absolutely! Actually Ibex are my primary pursuit - it did not make sense to go all that way and only take an Ibex :-) But for me its really all about the adventure…

I’m pursuing a pretty good workout regimen but haven’t figured out how to train for altitude. I figure all workouts will help!

posted Hide Post
Mr. Powell, having hunted Tajikistan I can tell you there is no workout that helps. Best reference I can come up with is how far can you go by holding your breath? There is no air up in the Pamirs.
Also depending on when you go you may be wearing the big overcoats with bulky snow boots. Not much fast happening in those. lol
Best advise I can offer is have some pics of what you're looking for to show your guide. You'll probably be driving around a bit looking over the herd of sheep. When I was there we didn't see just a bunch of ibex but I was still able to take one - 635 yds.

posted Hide Post
Also, if you go thru Turkey then I'd highly suggest getting a tour guide to show you around. Lots of really beautiful things to see and experience there. Had as much fun with that as I did with the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AustinGuy:
Also, if you go thru Turkey then I'd highly suggest getting a tour guide to show you around. Lots of really beautiful things to see and experience there. Had as much fun with that as I did with the hunt.

I love Istanbul! I used to do a lot of business trips there prior to covid.. One of my favorite places..

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Make trips to Colorado inSummer and Fall here and there for high altitude training
It ain’t much but better then nothing
Biggest thing is to have as many red cells as possible as oxygen is scarce over there

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Sure be in shape just like any hunt.Consentrate on the Cold and Altitude more,

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote