THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Stock color for hunting sheep abroad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock color for hunting sheep abroad
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chin-gas-cook:
what advantage does the 6.5 have over the 257 bob or the 25-06?

Slightly heavier and higher ballistic coefficient bullet. Bigger hole.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You do not need a 30-378 with a 28" barrel and a plastik stock...
For me, hunting with a classy classic gun like a single-shot Kipplaufe, adds to the mistique of high mountain hunting:

7x65R, Tien Shan Mts., Oct. '14, 13,400ft

6,5x57R, Himalayas, March '15, 14,500ft

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
[QUOTE]

Is it a big enough difference to make the animals more dead??

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
[QUOTE]

Is it a big enough difference to make the animals more dead??

Dead is dead.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me boring, but I don't reload.
Therefore, I like to shoot easily accessible ammo. I own a .22, 223, 25-06,30-06 and 12 guage. Maybe not so much the 25-06, but got to live on the edge a little bit.

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
There are are factory offerings for the Creedmoor that are fairly available. The short action is definitely an allure for the mountain hunter....that and it's new and something to play with...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bet very highly that there isn't 1 factory box of 6.5 creedmore for sale on the island. It's hard enough finding 30-06, lately anyways.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would bet very highly that there isn't 1 factory box of 6.5 creedmore for sale on the island. It's hard enough finding 30-06, lately anyways.

Likely not much for mountain hunting there either Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NFLD/LAB isn't far away.
Nothing but paper to shoot on the little rock.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
NFLD/LAB isn't far away.
Nothing but paper to shoot on the little rock.

Not much sheep hunting in NFLD either...lol...well at least wild sheep. I suspect the Creedmoor is much more popular in the west. It is a good mountain choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"A good mountain choice" what does that mean? I am sure it performs the same on a Sask prairie as it would on the top of an Alta mountain range.
I am sure there are much better choices for the average mountain or prairie hunter.
I put all the "new" and magnum cartridges in the same group: WHY? It's like trying to improve the wheel.
But, I digress, the thread topic is about stock color, not cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
"A good mountain choice" what does that mean?

For me, typically a short action, light-weight rifle chambered in a lower recoil cartridge that is capable to 500-600 yards and performs well with a shorter barrel. I'd say the 6.5 Creedmoor is a perfect choice but then again there are lots of perfect choices. Just because it's new doesn't mean it;'s better....but it doesn't mean it's worse either. Just new. It's hardly a magnum chambering...actually quite a slow poke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was a magnum. Just 2 "types" of cartridges I don't find a need for.
Everything in N.A. can be shot with "perfect" cartridges based on the 308 or the 30-06 casing.
But, that is just my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HEll I got a blasé orange one it hasn't cause me any problems Big Grin

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was a magnum. Just 2 "types" of cartridges I don't find a need for.
Everything in N.A. can be shot with "perfect" cartridges based on the 308 or the 30-06 casing.
But, that is just my opinion.

a 7-08 is what seems a good sheep caliber.

the nicest sheep i ve seen taken was with a 7x57 ... but with wood stock ...

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhaba:
HEll I got a blasé orange one it hasn't cause me any problems Big Grin

How do you know???

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Personally I´m all the way plastic bolt trash. Rem 700 in .257 Wby and .300 RUM. for mountain hunting. This said for my Alpine chamois I also used a Kipplauf with wood stock, but what I really missed is the possibility to install a bipod. I really like Montero`s hunting style and sportsman`s attitude.
Montero, Congratulations to your awesome blue sheep. BTW May I ask which Nepali outfitter you used?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You!

I will send a PM.

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:

Phil,
isnt the 235 grains made for asian hunts at the origin of the 375hh?

Phil

I remember reading that it was, and in the days before rangefinders the benefits in trajectory probably made it worth it. But with rangefinders, I preferred using 270 gr bullets with their better BC. for bucking the winds.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montero:
6,5x57R, Himalayas, March '15, 14,500ft

Great photo!