Find
Notify
Tools

Edward James Corbett
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I have always enjoyed Jim Corbett's books so I decided to learn a little more about Corbett. There have been a couple of modest biographies written about Corbett and in reading those I learned a number of things about Corbett that I did not know:

• Corbett was born and raised in India.
  • Corbett never married and lived with his sister Maggie.
  • Corbett put down his hunting rifle later in his life and took up the camera.
  • While Corbett is known for shooting many tigers, he also very outspoken on how endangered tigers were becoming.
  • After India's independence, Corbett moved to Kenya where he died and is buried.
  • Corbett was highly schooled in junglelore and did bird calls and animals calls to lure tigers as well as using baits.
  • By all reports, Corbett was an extremely modest, generous and engaging fellow.
  • He made several silent films of tigers (would be great to see those).

All in all, he was an extremely interesting person in addition to being a fine writer. Wouldn't it be wonderful to spend some time around a campfire with him and listen to his stories.

Mike
  •  
    Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    He was also the first person on planet earth to tell Princess Elizabeth that she was "Queen Elizabeth" when her father died while she was at Treetops Game Park in Kenya. She was in a machan when word came that she was the new queen. Corbett told her she was the queen. She went into the machan a princess and came out a "Queen".

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of boarkiller
    posted Hide Post
    Definitely would appreciate some info on Corbetts films on tigers.
    Anyone has any ideas?
    Love the man and I learned so much from his books for my own hunting ventures as a kid in Eastern Europe
    His work is priceless and ageless

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
    When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
    Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
    PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
    Only fools hope to live forever
    “ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Corbett wrote about how he knew he was going to be killed by different man eaters that he was hunting, yet he continued on. You could tell as you read his words that he was not over dramatizing, that these were his real fellings.
    If you do not fear, you are not brave, but if you fear and still resolve to do what you know is right, that is real bravery.
    Corbett's writings are a must read, at times they are spellbinding.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of MJines
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by boarkiller:
    Definitely would appreciate some info on Corbetts films on tigers.
    Anyone has any ideas?

In D.C. Kala's book, Jim Corbett of Kumaon, he mentions several films including, Seven Tigers. The author said that after Corbett's death the films went first to the National Film Archive in London, then ultimately ended up in the British National History Museum. The author said the films are in the eduction section. Mentions 20 films with a running time of 10 minutes or so each. All black and white, all silent. Some were filmed in Africa too. One would hope they would be digitized before they are lost forever.

Mike

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I love his books. He was truly an exceptional person. His deep love and understanding of natur is very impressive.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
    Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of juanpozzi
    posted Hide Post
    Great person a true hunter and conservationist -a supouse any hunter is a conservationsit too-great writers ,he hunted tigers but he loved them ,now there is a sanctuary for tigers called JIM CORBETT in INDIA. I believe its India biggest National Park .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
    DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
    DRSS--SCI
    NRA
    IDPA
    IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Nakihunter
    posted Hide Post
    My childhood hunting hero for the late 1960s!

One has to also remember that his early hunting was with fire torches at night and using white "lime" on the front bead. Battery powered torches were not common or very reliable in the late 1920s!

I particularly loved the way he described the whole jungle atmosphere including small birds and insects.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of boarkiller
    posted Hide Post
    No I wish for time machine

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
    When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Jim Corbett is my childhood hero and i was lucky to hunt in the same jungles in my teens. Have followed few of his man eater hunts with his book in hand.
    One question remains un answered, what happened with him in the room of forest rest house during the night...Corbett promised in his book he will tell the tale some where else as it is beyond the law of nature and doesn't fit in a book of nature. Booth,D.C. Kala mentions the incident but the mystery remains. As per Kala Corbett must have written in detail about the incident and the story is there some where in his papers.

One of Us
    Picture of boarkiller
    posted Hide Post
    love mysteries Mahmood.
    I wondered about it myself.
    lucky you, being able to hunt where Jim did. I envy you.
    I grew up reading those stories since I could read.
    Jim was the best teacher for me when it comes to listening to voices in nature and knowing what's coming just from that.
    It totally opened whole new world for me.

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
    Picture of Nakihunter
    posted Hide Post
    I trekked through that area and into the higher Himalayas up to 15,000 feet in the late 70s & early 80s.

I had the pleasure of seeing a pair of Kaleej Pheasants as well as a couple of other pheasants.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
    Picture of ManuelM
    posted Hide Post
    A great man, a great writer and a great hunter. Always loved how he wrote describing the joy, fear or emotion he felt while hunting or fishing. I can imagine myself in the Indian jungle while reading his stories. My favorite writing was the final chance he had to shoot the Thak man eater at last light.

Manuel Maldonado
    MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
    https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
    posted Hide Post
    Here is a link to some of his works:

https://archive.org/search.php...%22Corbett%2CJim.%22

It is also quite interesting to read about his day job, he did a lot for India.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Nakihunter
    posted Hide Post
    I have a couple of books which are researched biographies about Jim Corbett. One is called "Carpet Sahib".

He is 5th generation (I think)Irish. He never visited the UK during his younger days. It is possible that he went there towards the end of his life as he spent the last 10 or so years in Kenya.

The part I really love about his writing is that a truly "India" sentiment is seen in all his writings. There are other writers who have a typically Colonial tone in their writings (Including Kenneth Anderson who was 6th generation Scottish / Anglo Indian).

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    An interesting sidenote; the rifle that Corbett used on the majority of his exploits was eventually sold to Elmer Keith.

It now belongs to one of the members here, iirc.

Rich

I will see if I can get some pictures to post.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of eagle27
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nakihunter:
    I have a couple of books which are researched biographies about Jim Corbett. One is called "Carpet Sahib".

He is 5th generation (I think)Irish. He never visited the UK during his younger days. It is possible that he went there towards the end of his life as he spent the last 10 or so years in Kenya.

The part I really love about his writing is that a truly "India" sentiment is seen in all his writings. There are other writers who have a typically Colonial tone in their writings (Including Kenneth Anderson who was 6th generation Scottish / Anglo Indian).

Naki I do agree with your assessment of Jim Corbett's sentiment in his writings, something that adhered me to his books many years ago and still does today, over perhaps any other writer. I also like Anderson, and I know you have a different view on him, but I sometimes think at least Anderson accepted and stayed in India after her independence whereas Jim left for Africa after this stage in India's development. Reading of his affection for the people and the country and all the good things he did for those people and the country, it just seems a mystery to me as to why he did leave India? Nevertheless I view him as a great man, one who of all others I would dearly have loved to have met and hunted with.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Nakihunter
    posted Hide Post
    Which one was this Rich? I thought he buried all his guns on his property where his dog robin was buried!

quote:
    Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
    An interesting sidenote; the rifle that Corbett used on the majority of his exploits was eventually sold to Elmer Keith.

It now belongs to one of the members here, iirc.

Rich

I will see if I can get some pictures to post.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I think Corbet's rifle is in the Kieth exhibit in Boise Idaho at Cabels's..

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
    posted Hide Post
    latly saw pic of mr jim shocky holding a gun in his hand and some gun shop in lahore pakistan saying jim corbett gun...which gun is that?..can see on jim shocky fb page.

ur 3 greatest hunts r, ur 1st,ur last,and ur next!!!!

Posts: 254 | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    As far as I know the 450/400 at the Bosie Cabela's was Corbett's and was purchased by Elmer Keith at some point. Corbett's 7x57 is still around as I remember seeing something on it being auctioned.

I believe Corbett had invested in a coffee plantation in Kenya and made several trips of months duration to check on his investment and also to hunt.

I did read that the reason he left India was because he and his sister were savagely attacked by some India nationalists during the Indian independence movement after WW2. Evidently, he did not feel safe in India anymore. I could also surmise that he was just a bit "pissed off" that people he had always treated with great kindness and fairness, as well as risked his life to protect, would viciously turn on him for no good reason as he was not a "colonialist" in any sense.

Did Corbett know that India named a national park after him? Or was that done after he had passed on? I'd be curious to know the reasoning behind the Indian government's decision to name the park after him.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I have a friend who worked for Fish&Game in Idaho until he retired a few years ago. He spent years in Salmon and became good friends with Keith. As Keith upgraded his doubles, this friend was able to buy some of the older ones. The Corbett rifle is one of them.

Corbett was employed by the Railroad in India for many years, if memory serves me correctly.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mahmood sultan:
    Jim Corbett is my childhood hero and i was lucky to hunt in the same jungles in my teens. Have followed few of his man eater hunts with his book in hand.
    One question remains un answered, what happened with him in the room of forest rest house during the night...Corbett promised in his book he will tell the tale some where else as it is beyond the law of nature and doesn't fit in a book of nature. Booth,D.C. Kala mentions the incident but the mystery remains. As per Kala Corbett must have written in detail about the incident and the story is there some where in his papers.

I am going through a book "Jim Corbett of Kumaon" in which the writer has narrated the incident of that night...intresting...I will quote the whole para as written in the book shortly.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    the rifle is, iirc, a .450/400-3 1/4 Jefferys.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

Tim Werling in his book "Jim Corbett Master of the jungle " , Safari Press Inc, gives following regarding that night while hunting Champawat man-eater

“Quote
    At 3 A.M. Jim awoke from a sound sleep. The small flame in his hurricane lamp on the nightstand had been extinguished and it was pitch black in the room. Suddenly he felt an eerie sensation that something evil was in the room. He then heard a strange “clunking” noise that sends shivers up and down his spine. The noise was similar to someone dropping a heavy object on the floor.
    Jim peered into the darkness to try to determine the source of the noise. “Who is there?” he asked sternly. The noise did not repeat itself – the room was starkly silent. When Jim started to believe his imagination was running wild on him, he saw it: A glowing blue vapor came into view at the end of his bed. It was about the shape and size of a man and had small, dark circles where the eyes, nose, and mouth would normally have been.
    Jim gasped in horror. He had heard tales about some of these bungalows being haunted but he discounted them as merely someone’s active imagination. He rubbed his eyes and with a shaky voice asked, “Who are you?”
    There was no answer. The vision remained at the foot of the bed stationary. It appeared translucent, its intensity waxing and waning. Jim’s immediate reaction was to shoot and ask questions later, but the rifle was propped against the wall near the door.
    When Jim felt a cold, clammy sensation creeping up his legs from his feet, he decided he was overstaying his welcome. In one quick movement, he sprang from the bed and bolted to the door, grabbed his rifle, and spun around to face the apparition.
    It was gone. The room was in total darkness again………….. As Jim began to calm down he realized he has a difficult decision to make. He could go outside for the rest of the night and worry about the man-eater attacking him, or stay indoors and face whatever it was he had seen and felt only minutes earlier. Jim decided to remain inside……”
    Unquote

From where he got this is unclear.

Picture of Mark
    posted Hide Post
    Very interesting Mahmood, thank you for posting it.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Gayne C. Young
    posted Hide Post
    Always enjoy reading Jim's work

Visit my homepage
    www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of boarkiller
    posted Hide Post
    Gave me goose bumps thinking of one night when I was young, pig hunting at night and walking by old abandoned bldg and suddenly felt hands on me literally.
    Took off running for good kilometer before I stopped. Never ever been so scared.
    If I was older I swear Id have a heart attack. Never gone back there at night again
    It still scares me 45 years later

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Tim Werling in his book "Jim Corbett Master of the jungle " , Safari Press Inc, gives following regarding that night while hunting Champawat man-eater

“Quote
    At 3 A.M. Jim awoke from a sound sleep. The small flame in his hurricane lamp on the nightstand had been extinguished and it was pitch black in the room. Suddenly he felt an eerie sensation that something evil was in the room. He then heard a strange “clunking” noise that sends shivers up and down his spine. The noise was similar to someone dropping a heavy object on the floor.
    Jim peered into the darkness to try to determine the source of the noise. “Who is there?” he asked sternly. The noise did not repeat itself – the room was starkly silent. When Jim started to believe his imagination was running wild on him, he saw it: A glowing blue vapor came into view at the end of his bed. It was about the shape and size of a man and had small, dark circles where the eyes, nose, and mouth would normally have been.
    Jim gasped in horror. He had heard tales about some of these bungalows being haunted but he discounted them as merely someone’s active imagination. He rubbed his eyes and with a shaky voice asked, “Who are you?”
    There was no answer. The vision remained at the foot of the bed stationary. It appeared translucent, its intensity waxing and waning. Jim’s immediate reaction was to shoot and ask questions later, but the rifle was propped against the wall near the door.
    When Jim felt a cold, clammy sensation creeping up his legs from his feet, he decided he was overstaying his welcome. In one quick movement, he sprang from the bed and bolted to the door, grabbed his rifle, and spun around to face the apparition.
    It was gone. The room was in total darkness again………….. As Jim began to calm down he realized he has a difficult decision to make. He could go outside for the rest of the night and worry about the man-eater attacking him, or stay indoors and face whatever it was he had seen and felt only minutes earlier. Jim decided to remain inside……”
    Unquote

From where he got this is unclear.

Jim Corbett was superstitious, there is little doubt about it after reading , Bala Singh and demon of Tirsul, Purnagiri lights on the bank of Sarda river, The temple tiger etc. The experience of Ghosts is real or imagination – dreams, I cannot say but I will narrate one incident of Kumaon area which I experienced in the early sixties: We were in two vehicles, a 2nd WW jeep and a 38 model Ford soft top, on our way to Seeta Bani from Powalgarh (The “Bachelor of Powalgarh” fame). Heavy rains and stuck Jeep delayed us to the extent that my father and his friends decided to spend the night in the nearby dackbunglow of Dhitchuri. We reached there just as sun was setting and all went and sat in the front veranda and someone went to look for the watchman-cook of the bungalow. I was 16 at that time and used to smoke secretly so I went to the rear and saw the usual bathroom cleaner entrance door. It was not bolted and I went in and sitting on the dusty bed in the bedroom lighted a cigarette. While I finished my smoke I noticed dust on every item was indicating that the room was not cleaned for a long time. I heard someone was calling me urgently and when I reached the front all were in the vehicles and in great hurry. They told me that the watchman said the bungalow is haunted and not in use for years. The shiver and cold feeling in spine on hearing this I still remember and it haunted me for a long time.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Gentleman:
    Did anybody nows where his rifles are?

Best wishes.

The Bock

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I'll have to look tomorrow, but it might be in the Keith Museum in Boise.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Idaho Sharpshooter, any update on Corbett's rifle

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Hunting Muktesar maneater Corbett writes about a strange incident which happened while waiting for a cattle lifter tiger, near a sacred shrine known as " Baram Ka Than", who was approaching towards Corbett suddenly in no wind condition there was swish of leaves and a Jamun tree started leaning on another and the two on a third tree and then all three collapsed in the direction of the shrine. The tiger ran away. This incident also makes one curious like the Champawet rest house night.

One of Us
    Picture of sforbsy
    posted Hide Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...zzT5TKt4&feature=Man
    Many years of reading Corbetts books over and over inspired my trip to India in 2011 and never in a million years did l ever imagine what l would come to witnessed. It was as though l had stepped back a 100 yrs in time.
    Please open the link to see my footage of the Man eater of Sunderkahl.
    A young rogue male which had taken 6 villagers from Nov 2010 to Jan 2011 before it was gunned down by officials on this morning while l was the first car stuck at a road block 100m from it's last victim.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Unfortunately U tube is blocked in Pakistan. would love to read about your observations on the areas where Jim lived and hunted.

quote:
    Originally posted by sforbsy:
    Many years of reading Corbetts books over and over inspired my trip to India in 2011 and never in a million years did l ever imagine what l would come to witnessed. It was as though l had stepped back a 100 yrs in time.
    A young rogue male which had taken 6 villagers from Nov 2010 to Jan 2011 before it was gunned down by officials on this morning while l was the first car stuck at a road block 100m from it's last victim.

One of Us
    Picture of MJines
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sforbsy:

What an experience. I agree, it would be a treat to hear your reflections on your trip, particularly if you were able to visit any of the Corbett-related locales.

Mike

One of Us
    Picture of sforbsy
    posted Hide Post
    I was unable to manage time to visit the Museum in Nainital, I did how ever follow some routes mentioned in his writings, see places he stayed and went to towns he frequented. There is an actual company who advertises to trek and follow his hunting routes into the foothills.
    I was indeed there to hunt Tigers with my camera and on the last day l captured some amazing footage of a big male walking directly to me up to thirty yards away.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Nakihunter
    posted Hide Post
    Great experience. Please post photos of tiger! One can never see enough of this magnificent animal - particularly when there is a real story attached to the picture.

One of Us
    Picture of sforbsy
    posted Hide Post

The Jim Corbett's rifle, which now resides in the Elmer Keith Museum, at Cabela's, in Boise, Id. ( The Corbett rifle is the down gun)

"I own the late Jim Corbett's tiger rifle-the best quality boxlock .450-400(3") double rifle by W.J. Jeffery & Co., with which he killed so many man-eating tigers for the Indian government. He also used it in Africa. The brass-cornered oak and leather case is in fine shape, while the rifle shows more use and less abuse than any old rifle I have ever seen.

The metal is as bright as a silver dollar. The action is that good No. 2 Jeffery is sound and tight as a rat trap. Engraving shows up even better on the bright steel. Only traces of checkering are left. The stock ears are actually worn away from the frame, as is the butt of the stock from the engraved heel and toe plates.

The bores are grey in the grooves from cordite, and the lands are worn down about halfway, but there are no pits from neglect.

With Corbett lying out in tree crotches and machans in the rain waiting for tigers, this rifle was exposed to all kinds of weather. Jim Corbett had no Hoppes No. 9, or Rice's X-10 solvent, but I would bet he poured many gallons of water through these tubes. In spite of external wear, this .450-400 is as effective and accurate a hunting rifle as when turned out by W.J. Jeffery & Co.. I fired both barrels at a six inch bull's eye at 80 yards, shooting from a car window. The bullets(Kynoch 400 grain softnose) landed one inch apart, one directly over the other, both cutting the centerline of the target. Jim sold this rifle to a man from Vancouver, and my friend George Neary got it from him. I swapped a perfect .350 Elliot caliber Danial Frazer double ejector for it.

I would like to have known Jim Corbett. His book, Man Eaters of Kumoan, is a masterpiece on the Indian tiger and proves he knew more about life and habits, of that beast than any living man. I treasure his old rifle. You can judge a man by the condition of his rifle."

Elmer Keith
    (Great american hunter and guns lover)