THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Rifle weight as big of a concern?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle weight as big of a concern?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Is rifle weight as big of a concern on Asian sheep/ibex hunts as it is on a back country hunt? See plenty of "sheep rifle" threads and lightweight weight is a common theme, however, they usually focus on hunting North American sheep where you'll be carrying in a backpack worth of items in addition to your rifle. Seems that in Asia, all you will carry is your rifle.

For those that have hunted Asian sheep an ibex, what did your rifle weigh and was it a factor you were as concerned about compared to a back-country sheep hunt in the US (where you had a pack to carry as well)?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the same gun on backpack hunts,horse hunts and Asian ibex hunts.Most asian hunts your packing the gun over shoulder on the pony.I give my pack to one of the many"guides" that go along with their hand out.My model 70 264 win mag,with 9 shells in the stock sleeve,3x9 scope,sling,weighs 11 pounds.Biggest factor I shoot with confidence.Same gun for 31 years ,changed to a thumbhole stock a while back.I'm 65 years old and seeing the mtns are higher that they used to be.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rather than rifle weight I feel the greater factor should be taking a rifle that you are competent with, confident with and shoots flat enough with authority for those longer shots at elevation that are not uncommon in Asia or other alpine environments. Such a rifle could be either a specialty lightweight or something more substantial that is not stupidly heavy. My view is formed from hunting in NZ, BC - Canada, USA - Idaho and Turkey chasing alpine species largely on foot, even if primarily accessing the actual hunting grounds by horseback, helicopter or 4WD vehicle.
I think your question is logical in that you will have more rifle weight leeway if that's all you carry all day long but most hunters will also carry some additional weight with a backpack containing a few essentials and it can be surprising how quickly total weight builds up with these items that individually seem to weigh nothing.
And rifle weight leeway would apply if you spend most of the hunt time on horseback but usually at some point country needs to be traversed on foot and the further the distance the more any weight carried works against you, especially in one's senior years and at unfamiliar altitudes. In my case I like the hiking and always have and have done several hunts entirely by hiking. As a younger man I could tolerate hill hiking with bulky, heavy gear but age brought greater wisdom and spending power thankfully and over time I consciously upgraded all equipment to achieve both higher quality and considerable weight saving, including the rifles I now use on alpine hunts.
My comments really apply to my preferred hunting style and experience and in that context I decided weights mattered to the extent that I set up with lighter rifles. It's worked for me. As they say, YMMV.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One should be far more concerned about ones own weight then the rifles weight.

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PD is right. That said the mountains in Mongolia where I hunted were not steep and not a lot of vegetation or loose rock. Then again I was 40 yrs old.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Ah yes - the age old muddy statement. Bad thinking.
Weight is cumulative, not compensatory. Weight in your rifle is additional to weight on your gut. It adds to the load and doesn't offset it.

Being too lazy to lose gut, doesn't justify an unduly heavy rifle. Similarly, having a featherweight rifle doesn't get one off the hook for losing the gut.

A couple of extra pounds in a rifle being carried in your hands all day, will be far more burdensome than the same weight in your pack.

30.06 King has summed it up pretty well for me.

With what's available to us now in the way of things like carbon fibre stocks and alloy mounts, it is possible to have a rifle with a reasonably substantial 24" barrel and a little weight forward, and still stay around, or a little under, 8lb with glass. Add a little extra weight and a little more barrel length for mountain suitable magnum cal. I find such a setup easier to shoot well than rifles a couple of pounds lighter. The little extra barrel weight is more forgiving of a lapse in technique.

I carried a 9.5lb rifle on my first thar hunt, and swore never again.

BTW - I don't have a gut, but I am a lightweight, which makes weight proportionately more burdensome for me than for bigger people.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of backpack hunting here in North America as well as horseback. Have been to Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and New Zealand as well hunting mountain game.
I use a Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag. Standard profile barrel with a 3-9x40mm scope. I haven't weighed it but I would not consider it either a heavyweight or lightweight rig.
The really lightweight guns seem nice to carry, but don't seem to settle in as nice when it comes time to shoot. I have also had owners of these ultralight guns tell me that they will become quite inaccurate after 3 shots in quick succession.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Christian Arms rifle. Weigh little, dont recoil much, and look great.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Is rifle weight as big of a concern on Asian sheep/ibex hunts as it is on a back country hunt? See plenty of "sheep rifle" threads and lightweight weight is a common theme, however, they usually focus on hunting North American sheep where you'll be carrying in a backpack worth of items in addition to your rifle. Seems that in Asia, all you will carry is your rifle.

For those that have hunted Asian sheep an ibex, what did your rifle weigh and was it a factor you were as concerned about compared to a back-country sheep hunt in the US (where you had a pack to carry as well)?

I do backpack sheep hunts DIY in Alaska. I've also hunted MP and ibex in Kyrgyzstan. I used my light weight (7.25lbs loaded) sheep rifle for all of it. That said you likely aren't going to backpack so far that I'd worry about 1-2lbs on most Asian hunts from my experience and speaking to friends. Especially so if you shoot the gun well or better because it's heavier. One exception might be some of the Russian snow sheep hunts. Some of them sound like some legit hiking/backpack hunting affairs. Most of the others seem to have a fair amount of vehicle, horse, or human transporting your gear support.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

OMG. That is too funny! Thank you PD Shooter!

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Unless you're already skinny. It's cheaper and easier to lose 10 lbs of fat than buy another rifle that weighs 1 Lbs less than the one that you have.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote