Notify
Tools

Not Hunting - but still ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
After 38 years ..... again

I have been in India visiting family & friends after 5 years.

I got the chance to take 2 days off to visit Nagarhole National Park, on the Kabini side. Low cost basic trip. You would not believe that the whole trip including bus fares, accommodation, food, 2 vehicle safaris & tips cost me less than US$400!!! But that involved riding pillion on a small motorcycle for 30 km on real bad roads & tracks, 3 trips - to and from safari pick up!

Young female. Saw the tiger at about 8 am - at about 100 meters walking towards us. She walked right up to us and past the vehicle. She was about 10 feet from me!

After the rainy season, the bush is very thick. The gaur have moved else where. Just saw this one young bull. Not yet jet black!

Tusker no 1 with front tips crossing. Very long ivory - extremely rare in India today

Tusker no 2 - different area - even more rare to see such big tuskers in the same area today in India. On careful observation of the 2 photos, I am sure it is the same animal seen morning and evening. Hundreds of tuskers have been poached in the last 30 years. Indian cow elephants do not have tusks.

Kabini farm stay - 13 km from park gate

Best onion pakkodas I have had in a very long time. Great home style food. Chicken kababs with my own beers in the evenings!

Crested serpent eagle

Grey jungle fowl. These are very exquisite birds, particularly if you have a mature rooster in hand. I used to shoot them in the tea plantations in the 1980s

Saw only one sambar hind. Thick bush & rains I guess.

I saw over 1000 chital but no great pics of stags.

One very interesting point I observed in 2 trips to this park is the small size of most animals. The chital, sambar, gaur, elephant et are much smaller in body size and antler. The tusks are huge in the elephants. Also animal density is very high. This area was the former hunting preserve of the Maharaja of Mysore.

Just 100 km away the animals and antlers are much bigger but density is far less. But again - former hunting area 70 years ago.

The leopards here are big - I saw a large male last time. Tigers are average size I guess - 9 foot 6 inch for an average male. Female tigers are not that big in this area.

This region is in the Western ghat plateau - 3000 feet elevation with no big hills. Just rolling landscape.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Naki you have pissed me off..I`m now jealous as can be seeing your photos of your experience. Wink
Its been on my list since I read JC`s books as a young boy.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
This is pay back time Gryph for all your hunting photos, buffalo, sambar etc rotflmo Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
Naki you have pissed me off..I`m now jealous as can be seeing your photos of your experience. Wink
Its been on my list since I read JC`s books as a young boy.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Added a couple of the better pics of the tiger.

On second thoughts the elephant may be the same animal on different trips. I just looked more carefully at the right ear and I think the veins and folds are the same.

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Outstanding,I would love to visit some of these areas, thanks for posting the photos

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I think you were shaking with some excitement with the tiger 10' away Naki.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Aziz we should make a plan for next year.

It would be a great idea to do 10 days of "Tiger Trails" - go to 3 parks out of Thadoba, Bandhavghar, Ranthambore, Kabini & Bandhipur

All of them have high density of tigers and sightings are common. But nothing is guaranteed of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed the tiger had a porcupine quill stuck in its mouth! Is that the lodge owned by saad bin Jung?

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Good spotting Arjun

I noticed the scar on the right paw first off. But I noticed the quills only a few days later but have not had the time to post.

I also noticed that the tiger looked rather skinny.

There are a few quills stick on her left cheek and they can be seen in most photos if you look carefully.

Not sure if the park officials will intervene. She could die of starvation or infection.

In the old days she would have been a candidate for man eating but now wood collection & cattle grazing in the park is banned.

quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
I noticed the tiger had a porcupine quill stuck in its mouth! Is that the lodge owned by saad bin Jung?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great place to visit! Thanks for sharing. Those gaur are impressive.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Arjun

Saad bin Jung is the nephew of the Nawab of Pataudi.

The place I stayed at is a basic Farm Stay about 13 km from Nagarhole National park - on the HD Kota / Dammankatte side. The owner is one Deepak from Mysore.

This place is called Kabini Farm Stay.

quote:
Originally posted by reddy375: