THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Pakistan with Indus Safaris-some pics added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pakistan with Indus Safaris-some pics added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OUTFITTER- I used Danish Ali of Indus Safaris . I have known him for years . It is a fantastic company .

DATES- January 2021

RIFLE- I was advised that it was very time consuming and difficult but not impossible to get one’s own rifle into Pakistan. I decided to utilize one of Danish’s rifles. It was a Blaser in 7 MM topped with a Swarovski scope . The gun shot well. It had an amazing trigger . I find the safety to be awkward. Very awkward. I won’t be replacing my rifles with Blasers any time soon.

GUIDE- I was supposed to hunt with Danish . He, unfortunately, became ill with COVID while we were in transit . Instead, we had a gentleman named Mir. Very nice guy. Although Danish was not physically with us, he checked in every day making sure that all was good. I appreciated this very much . It shows that he cares about his clients .

TRAVEL BEFORE THE HUNT - I flew Emirates for the first time. All I can say is WOW! Emirates is an incredible airline . It may be the best I have ever flown and I have flown a hell of a lot in my life .

I visited Dubai for the first time in my life . What an impressive and amazing city. I did not regret my visit there . In fact, I am fairly certain that I will make more trips there .

The best part of visiting Dubai was visiting Saeed for several hours . He was gracious enough to show me the desert, his various shooting related facilities and had me to dinner at his house . I throughly enjoyed my visit with him . He is a very nice guy.

SAFETY AND SECURITY- my friends and family expressed a lot of concern about these matters before I left . Candidly, I was very apprehensive.

For the most part , there was nothing to give me any concern. I felt perfectly safe. The people were quite friendly and were happy to have me there .

I did get quite concerned at the airport. We were definitely attracting attention which i didn’t want . I could not wait to get out of the airport . This was magnified by the fact that I could not understand what anyone was saying . It was a combination of accent, speaking quietly, lots of background noise, masks and a divider that made it difficult to hear .

Karachi is a massive big city . I am
told over 20 million people . That, in and of itself made me nervous. Nothing happened but I was still nervous.

We had multiple armed guards with us just about everywhere. One could tell they meant business.

IN COUNTRY TRAVEL-Given that I was going after a variety of animals, it was not surprising that I had to go to different areas. There was a fair amount of windshield time. At times this was over rough, very dusty roads. The picture below is of my bags after we shook them off. My wife would have lost her mind!

LODGING- we stayed at a variety of different places. These places ranged from adequate to quite nice . Actually, incredibly nice in some cases.

INTERESTING NON-HUNTING MATTERS- needless to say, the culture is far different than the US. This added some interesting things to the trip. Let me list a few:

1-Prayers- A couple of times a day, we could hear the prayers over what I believe to be loud speakers . While I have no idea what they were saying , it was quite beautiful and soothing . I have heard it before but it has been a long time .

2-Truck art- we saw hundreds if not thousands of large trucks . They have these incredible, very colorful, ornate decorations. I have never seen anything like it anywhere before.

3- the land. Where we hunted the urial, I looked out across the land. I could not help but think how it looked like much of the American west. Other places could have been in the eastern cape in the RSA. Some places reminded me of Utah or Nevada.

4-snake charmers. We got to see snake charmers before we left the forest area. Damn it was incredible. Those cobras were striking at these guys who appeared to care less. They were close close close to the snakes . They were way too lackadaisical about the cobras for me .

It was also interesting to see the response the locals had toward us. When I got out of the truck, everyone was taking my picture on their phones . I have seen anything like this before.

5- different cultures. One of things that fascinated me was that the guide could tell the religion of someone based upon how they dressed. Further , he could tell whether a woman was married or not based upon how she was dressed.

Women are definitely treated differently . Some cultural things were obvious. For example , if we drove by women, most would turn their backs to the vehicle . If one waved to a woman while passing , they never waved back .

Not saying it is right or wrong , just different.

6- religion. While Pakistan is a
largely Muslim country, there are definitely other religions . Notably Hindu, Judaism and Christian. I was quite surprised.

One of the little towns we were close to had all four mentioned above . I inquired about conflict , violence , etc. I was told there was absolutely none. They all tolerated and respected one another.

I am going to discuss the hunting on an animal by animal basis.

BLANFORD URIAL

Our first animal we sought was the Blanford urial. We drove a couple of hours out of Karachi. We met some locals who were waiting for us . Almost immediately, we saw several urials. Off we go to have a look.

We walked a mile or so . Walking was rough due to loose rocks. I was wondering if these guys had a clue what to do. I needn’t have worried . This was one of the most masterful stalks I have ever seen. Pure genius.

We got to a ledge we could hide behind and started trying to sort things out. It was 240 yards away. After waiting patiently over an hour , the largest one gave me a shot. He was dead before he hit the ground .

Magnificent animal.

SINDH IBEX

We made our first attempt the first day . It was fairly late afternoon as we drove from where we shot the urial. This is when I learned that the ibex was going to be a driven hunt .

Our first attempt was a failure . However, we did see several billies. One was absolutely enormous. At about 500 yards, I estimated 48. Once we got to the place we were staying , they had some mounts. One of which was 52. I think the one we saw was bigger. This really got my attention.

The next morning we moved to a different location. We set up for a drive . We had waited a long time.

I was told there were two billies. Both shooters. We waited a very long time. Suddenly a
billy appeared. I asked whether to shoot . I heard nothing . Remembering what I heard before , I made a great shot and drilled him running at 157 yards . Then I saw others. A lot of others . I had not shot one of the big ones.

Shi t happens. What can I say.

HOG DEER

We moved to another area to hunt forest species. As driving in, I noted the bush was THICK. REALLY THICK! I wondered how we were going to hunt them. I got my answer before long . We were going to hunt at night .

I have never seen a hog deer much less shot one . I didn’t know a good one from a bad one . I was totally at the mercy of the guide.

After an hour or so, we spotted one which they got all excited about . I shot it at the extreme long range of 40 yards . They say it is a great one . A gold medal size. I have no clue.

I was the first hunter of the year. They have a tradition. The first hunter to kill a hog deer or a boar gets a Tanzanian style kabube. I was the first . I got the kabube. It was quite interesting . However, it made for a late night.

PARTRIDGES

We were going to do a driven partridge shoot complete with lines of beaters . I love bird shooting . This had an unusual aspect . They brought out 4 different side by side 12 gauges. Holland & Holland. William Evans. Westley-Richards . Churchill. I was quite excited to shoot these magnificent old shotguns. That wore off quickly .

After a small number of shots, my middle finger on my trigger hand was getting banged to hell and back. I couldn’t hit anything with those guns . I had enough of my finger being slammed. I told them I had enough and was going to quit.

We got in the shade and ate lunch . I was asked if I would like a single trigger shotgun. Yes, of course I would . In short order, a Beretta semi-auto appeared .

The world was a different place when I shot the Beretta. I just hammered the birds with it. It was fun but we only got something in the low 20’s.

NILGAI

After the bird hunt , I started to feel bad . I went to bed about 7:30. We got up early the next morning. I felt better .

We slipped up on a food plot. A nilgai bull was there. I hammered him at about 50 yards. He was clearly hit and hit hard. I remembered some stories of losing wounded nilgai in Texas. I decided to shoot again .

I am told it was a gold medal animal . I have no clue nor do I care. Those type of things are not for me.

We had fresh ground nilgai burgers for lunch . Nilgai back strap for dinner. Excellent table fare.

We are having extraordinary luck.

ASIATIC WILD BOAR

This place has insane numbers of hogs . It is nothing to see 100 in an outing . Most, however, are females and juveniles. They don’t seem particularly scared. Boars on the other hand, are skittish .

We walked up to a food plot and got in a blind. We sat there for quite a while . Numerous hogs came in. We passed one boar which was a mistake . I was told to shoot another as it was leaving . It took me 3 tries to get the safety off . F’ing Blaser. He was disappearing when I finally managed to get the safety off. I passed .

Just before dark another boar came in. I drilled him. He was way smaller than the first that I passed.

They are much smaller than I anticipated. Not sure why I though they would be bigger .

BLACK BUCK

After we finished in the forest area , we drove back to Karachi. This basically took the rest of the day . There was no hunting .

After breakfast the next morning, we took off for the black buck area. On the way, I learned that this was also supposed to be a driven hunt . We made it to a village to meet the locals. Off we went.

We walked a good way up this valley. Walking was difficult for me
due to all the rocks . There are few
rocks where I come from.

We walked a good way up this valley and climbed to a great vantage point . I figured this was going to be a bust due to the wind direction. Unfortunately, I was right.

We walked out and got the truck. We made a bit of a move. Off we go walking through the rocks. Again, the rocks were tough on me.

As we climbed to a vantage point , one of the locals spotted a lone male black buck. He seemed to be pretty far away. I had a horrendous place to shoot from. I held as appropriate and fired. I shot high.

It occurred to me that given the small size of a black buck, perhaps I was over estimating the range . I held lower and fired . He went down. No muss, no fuss.

I asked the cameraman who is a Zim PH what he thought the distance was? 250-275 was the answer . Personally, I estimated 250. I got out my binos and ranged it . 147. No wonder i shot high .

There is an interesting side note to this hunt . I vividly remember Aaron Neilson’s TV show made in Pakistan. We hunted the exact same valley that was in Aaron’s show. There are some very unique things in that valley that cannot be mistaken.

One critter left!

KENNIONS GAZELLE

Prior to booking this trip, I had never heard of a Kennions gazelle. It is hard to get a permit. They are very limited. I got one .

These are very small. About size of a duiker. This is a small target .

As we were eating lunch, word came in that one of the locals had spotted a Kennions gazelle. Off we go.

We get out of the truck and walk a good way. We came to a ledge with a valley below . Across the valley, was the quarry . This was a tiny target at good distance.

I shot it at 174 yards. He was down . Adventure over.

CONSERVATION

Hunting plays an important role
In conservation in Pakistan. An incredibly important role.

The guide advised us that Muslims
are required to provide meat at each “festival.” Rather than kill a head of their livestock, they would often go poach an animal. This depleted the game animals over a long period of time.

Now they have a community based program. Under this arrangement, the community gets 80% of the cost of the tags. The government keeps the other 20%. This generates a lot of money for the communities. It is now to their benefit to protect the animals . This program has been widely credited for drastically increasing the markhor population.

GENERAL COMMENTS

This trip was so interesting in so many ways.

Let me make a few closing comments:

1- Parts of the trip can be a bit nerve wracking given the driving customs.

2-In the rural areas , the people are all quite pleasant and welcoming. Nothing like what the MSM would have us believe .

3-Hunting is good even great .

4-Pakistan has a lot of varied terrain and elevations. Should one ever go, do NOT rely on general advice . Get info on the specific area . It may be hot and dry in the southern areas while it is very cold and snowy further north.

My good friend and cameraman Murray expressing his appreciation for working with me

A few images I thought were interesting

post image online

Posts: 11942 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
What is the truck with the condom on it? - J&J

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told it was carrying hay.

If one thing was learned in Pakistan,
it is that they have never seen a truck they couldn’t make top heavy. You should see them.

Posts: 11942 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I was told it was carrying hay.

If one thing was learned in Pakistan,
it is that they have never seen a truck they couldn’t make top heavy. You should see them.

Great report Larry, thanks for sharing. Likely a place I will never see.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report, Larry. Congratulations on a great hunt.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 674 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice

would like to go there but my indian overseas citizen status would make it difficult having to explain to indian immigration or getting a pakistan visa.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Nothing like getting out of you comfort zone. And your are right- Blasers have great accuracy and triggers but the world’s worst safety...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13135 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
very nice

would like to go there but my indian overseas citizen status would make it difficult having to explain to indian immigration or getting a pakistan visa.

Mike

That might be entertaining.

We were less than 50 miles from India at one point.

Personally, I can’t wait to see what they people in the US say when they see Pakistan on
my passport.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
You are probably on some terrorist watch list now! jumping

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13135 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
very nice

Mike

That might be entertaining.

We were less than 50 miles from India at one point.

Personally, I can’t wait to see what they people in the US say when they see Pakistan on
my passport.

Nothing there are probably few hundred thousand people who go from US to Pakistan a year and significantly more from U.K.

Getting a Pakistan visa can be arranged from Danish.

The issue is when you get to India they start asking questions and I want to fish in restricted areas in India so it’s best to skip Pakistan.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Great report Larry and congratulations on a fantastic trip. Your Urial and Hogdeer are great trophies. Bad luck on Sindh Ibex, I did the same with my first Himalayan Ibex. You will have to redo it as there are some magnificent trophies to be collected here and Stalking is the best way to hunt here as it gives alot of time to properly judge the trophy quality. Danish is a good guy with many successful hunts conducted by him. I am glad you had a great time here.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nice report. Looks like you had a good time.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Fantastic adventure and a cultural feast! Well done Larry. I have been close to pulling the trigger on Pakistan a couple of times but have allowed others to convince me otherwise... maybe I just need to "do it"!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Great report! Definitely on my bucket list.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry,
I remember when we chatted briefly at DSC in early 2020 you said you were booking a hunt in Pakistan. Congrats on getting it done, especially during Covid with associated difficulties and uncertainties. You certainly deserved the success you achieved.
I would love to hunt Pakistan if I ever can. A Blandford Urial, Blackbuck and Nilgai from their native lands would be wonderful.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great adventure. Congratulations.
For me one of the more exotic parts of the world. I grew up reading about and viewing photos of the Shah of Iran’s brother hunting the various sheep , ibex indigenous to those areas. Never had a buddy who wanted to accompany me over there. The Blanford Urial is one of the most majestic game animals on the planet. I communicated a bit in the past with Pirs Danish, what impressed me the most was the quality of his gear and mountain vehicles. All looked to be of the highest quality and well maintained. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this spectacular adventure.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Great report. On my list and will go. Pir runs a super operation.

Beats freezing your butt off in Alaska or climbing mountains covered in broken dinner plates....

You are always one jump ahead of me...

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It was a pleasure meeting Larry.

Sadly the weather - played a trick on us the day he was here.

We were supposed to go to falcon training, which I thought he would enjoy.

But, a very strong wind was blowing, and no one was out training their falcons!

But, we did manage to see the camels returning to camp, and a few Arabian Oryx and some desert gazelles.

Oh, and we rescued a cyclist who ran out of water, so we gave him the drinks we had! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, he was in desperate need of hydration!

Thanks again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice report and quite an adventure. Now, I want to go!Glad you made it back.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2741 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Larry, thanks for posting.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Larry, What an amazing trip! Congratulations on some excellent trophies. Bucket list stuff for most of us. Thanks for post. A great read.

Charlie

Ps Best meal I have ever had was in the 1990s at the Karachi Boat Club whilst dealing with PIA. Double portion of lobster thermidor with pomegranate juice! Memorable! Wonderful country.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2256 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Simply amazing trip and report Larry.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

It looks like you had a wonderful trip and thanks so much for sharing.
Well done! Very well done.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Larry, great report and glad it turned out to be all you hoped for. It looks fascinating, as much for the cultural aspects as the hunting. Nice that you got to shoot birds, especially with a good Italian shotgun.

So... when are you going for a Markhor?

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Report
This Ibex and Urials I want to hunt one day there.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and adventure Larry.
Some lovely trophies aswell. Congratulations.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful report! I would love to hunt Pakistan one day...

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! What a fabulous adventure. Hope to visit someday....

Ski+3
@hitefish, MT

Posts: 857 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Larry, that was an outstanding hunting trip. Thank you for sharing.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aziz:
Congratulations Larry, that was an outstanding hunting trip. Thank you for sharing.

Aziz

Thank you Aziz.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Brilliant and wonderful photos.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9859 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great report and pics! tu2 Larry, I appreciate your candid remarks on everything. Makes a hunt report so much better.