New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dove Opener
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How did you guys do? I went coyote hunting cuz my standard water hole is dry. Shot a rock at 862 yards that was quite pleasing, but no coyotes today.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rough day. I only got 8 shots and missed them all. One pass came right into the sun. Then a neighbor decided I did not need to hunt and came right up to the fence and started bagging reving the engines, and honking horns to push the birds away from me.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven’t got around to going yet. Been too busy. Maybe Friday or next week for sure.

LH500

Shame about your idiot neighbor. In Colorado interfering with a legal hunt is a crime.

I would check with the game warden.

In the meantime, I would get up at dawn every day and fire off a dozen shots just to annoy the SOB.

Good luck.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
First morning was poor- few birds.
That evening at a Throckmorton ranch was very good for all 20 shooters.
THIS MORNING AT RIVERS WEST RANCH on the Clear Fork of the Brazos was good, and we hunted near the lodge and that worked well.

Back home now and time to clean shotgun.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
We shot quite a few Eurasians and morning dove down in the Mexicali valley. Lots of birds were flying.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday the only birds around were in my wife’s feeder on the back porch.

No birds in the fields. Or roosting anywhere late evening.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are all in town here too.
[by town I mean Arizona]
1 bird, 1 shot,, season over same as every other year.
kills me, last Sunday I counted 40 birds in 1/2hr.
every year it's the same thing, tons of birds until right before the opener then they all leave.

if i didn't get to shoot starlings off the spring i have total and complete access to I wouldn't even bother.
hell we ain't even cut half the wheat yet.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Lowe, I was hunting with a guy 40+ years ago when the neighbors started that shit. He threw down on them + was ready to kill them both. I talked him down but it scared the hell out of me. Shortly afterward he was committed to the state mental hospital. Then I really got scared thinking how close I had been to a murder. But I'll bet they never did that again.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Missed the opener. But had great shooting in sunflower fields North of Brady, Texas.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been hunting around Woodson for 46 years, worst opener I have ever seen. Other hunters same story. saw a few in rifle range, missed the two that came within a hundred yds.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Wallyfish
We were hunting just west of Woodson and had only a few birds opening morning. I noticed that all the sunflower plants were dead and all seeds gone but not on the ground; no dove food.

That afternoon, up just north of Throckmorton, the field we hunted had live sunflower plants with flowers still on the plants; there were seeds on the flowers and on the ground; food for doves.

I have no explanation of why the plants were dead at one field and live at the other, but the birds were with the live sunflowers.

I have friends that hunted fields near Haskell and will hear from them tomorrow.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest and BuffHunter, I have never had a problem like this.

As a kid a crazy aunt told my Pa I was shooting her dog with a B.B. gun. He told her I did not own a BB gun which h was true.

Strange behavior. The birds have moved on. I have got to shoot my rifle for my trip next month. So, my best day was downed.

I normally do not hunt anywhere near a line, but that is where the birds want to be crossing from roost, water, and feed.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shortly afterward he was committed to the state mental hospital.

NC

More of that would greatly reduce the number of crazy-people shootings in America.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Got to go a little while yesterday evening with my son and a buddy. Several doves flying. I got my first banded dove.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting a thicket next to a feedlot in Imperial Valley CA this year. Limit shooting opening day. 1/2 limits day two. Went out again today and three of us shot 35 birds. Half have been Eurasians and half mourning doves with a couple of white wings. Non toxic shot requirements made my 28 shoot like a 410. Used Bismuth in my 410 and it worked well although expensive. Bismuth in the 28 seemed like lead. Very effective. My buddies with 12 ga. Steel did well with their boomers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opened the South Zone in Texas Saturday, Sunday and
Monday.
Shot maize fields East of Alice two days and one afternoon West of Premont. Plenty of birds 90% Whitewing near Premont Mourners Near Alice. Need to crank up the Ponsness
Warren!

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen hardly any + I have a stock tank in the valley below my house. Oh well, I guess that will be all the more for somebody else. Some years are more prolific than others.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LB:
Hunting a thicket next to a feedlot in Imperial Valley CA this year. Limit shooting opening day. 1/2 limits day two. Went out again today and three of us shot 35 birds. Half have been Eurasians and half mourning doves with a couple of white wings. Non toxic shot requirements made my 28 shoot like a 410. Used Bismuth in my 410 and it worked well although expensive. Bismuth in the 28 seemed like lead. Very effective. My buddies with 12 ga. Steel did well with their boomers.

I was loaded with bismuth and ready for the Imperial valley opener - a tradition with my hunting friends. Last minute I had to leave foe meetings in Europe. Missed the opener for the first time in many years. I heard it was a good dove opener. Second season coming up.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote