Find
Notify
Tools

End of season crows / rooks!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Out this morning early with my Springer bitch, Polly, and my 1923 William Evans 12/65 shotgun shooting Eley High Flyer No. 5s. Set up a small hide and set out half a dozen decoys around a roe deer skin that I had saved and frozen. Crisp cold morning with frost on the ground and on the trees combined with a glorious sunrise made for an awesome start to the day.

Managed to call in some 25 birds and shot 8 including a left and right. One group came in 6 strong but I only managed one of them. A fun mornings sport. 20th March season on crows closes til 1st August. Have had some good sport on these big, old, cunning birds this season.

Ps. planted some Red Robin bushes at the house in the afternoon and threw a crow in each hole that I dug for the bushes. A NZ trout guide I fished and hunted with years ago swore that the best fertilizer when planting garden plants was 'blood and bone'. He would always toss a shot rabbit into the holes he dug for his roses! He had some wonderful rose bushes in his yard!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2260 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that looks like fun.
we don't get too many crows around here, so when I do happen to see one it's a shot of opportunity.
just gotta be real sure it's a crow and not a random Raven.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote