THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Help on shot size, make and model

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on shot size, make and model
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have not shot trap for 50 years..but have been imvited to a day of trap shooting, a day of team roping, followed by an evening of 9 holes of golf and later a tri tip bar b que..

Need to know the best bet for shooting trap with my Rem mod 870, 12 ga. 2-3/4, 28 inch barrel..

I have a 20 double but its wide open and won't work to well I don't think.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7.5 shot is the preferred size for trap. 8's will work fine most of the time unless you try to shoot too far out.

Posts: 44 | Location: Key Biscayne, Fl | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking, High base or low base?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray:

For the purposes of this particular day of trap, keep it simple. Go to Wal Mart and get a couple boxes of Federal or Winchester "multi-purpose" loads. 1 1/8 ounce of 7.5, 3 drams equivalent, low base, plastic.

With these loads you can play all the games and shoot all the distances a trap range offers.

Enjoy the shoot and the tri-tip.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, shoot your low base shells for any trap event.
Trap shooters use either 2 3/4 dr. equivalent or 3 dr. equivalent.

Posts: 709 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
followed by an evening of 9 holes of golf

I'd recommend larger shot for golfs. Tough little bastards.....

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Take TWL advice & go to Wally World. Get the 100 pack of Federal Target loads. I would also like to say use either a mod or full choke. At the 16 yard line mod will be just fine. the further back you go to the full.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray.
2-3/4 dram #8's will break any trap target out there.
in the winter I switch to 7-1/2's for handicap shooting in our cold dense air.
[just buy some of the Blue RIO's they are cheap 6.50$ a box and effective]

if your shooting at the 16 and can pick the targets up before they get past 25yds from the house the modified choke will work just fine.

if your going to skyline in I.F. they have shells there for like 7$ a box, just get the 2-3/4 dram [red/yellow box] Estates they have there.

Posts: 4957 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't help you on the team roping as I've never shot a cow or a calf with a shotgun, a golf course is a waste of a perfectly good rifle range and I prefer 6s for hunting tri tip barbecue. 7 1/2s or 8s tend to stick in the meat...6s go all the way through. Seriously though, sounds like a good time and probably accompanied by some good people too...hope you enjoy.

Posts: 443 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know your scores after the match.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
Ray.
2-3/4 dram #8's will break any trap target out there...... modified choke will work just fine...
tu2

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Don't select a bucking horse for roping.
They just don't like ropes.

Clay Birds are crunchy and don't taste good..
Bad indigestion, too.

Those little golf eggs are tough to boil and don't taste good either.

Take your 870 and Walmart econo box of #8s
Throw the golf eggs in the air and shoot them in the direction of the pin. They go
like hell and you'll have the course all to
yourself.

Have a great day.

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote