THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Arguably the best Waterfowl Season in the world. N.T Aust.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arguably the best Waterfowl Season in the world. N.T Aust.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted
Hi to all bird enthusiasts, the Northern Territory Waterfowl season has just commenced for another year untill early Jan 2015, Parks & Wildlife N.T have generously extended the season with an additional week added.
As usual there are 5 different species of Duck to be taken plus Magpie Geese.
Bag limit per hunter per day is 10 Ducks and 10 Geese and given the good monsoon season experienced earlier in the year it's proving to be once again a very fruitful and sporting year so far for wing shooting.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like some great hunting.

What kind of geese are those?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Glad you asked, they are called Magpie Geese, native to Australia and Papua New Guinea. They live in wetland swamps and are extremely fun to hunt, not to mention very tasty. When the first rains arrive in Nov, the geese arrive in Hundreds of thousands, it is surely a sight to witness.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post

Here are the 5 species of Duck legal to take during the N.T Waterfowl season.
Plummed Whistler
Wandering Whistler
Grey Teal
Hard Head
Pacific Black Duck
Magpie Goose

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks worth a visit!

How do the dogs work with the crocs around? Or are you shooting in areas with no crocs?

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't get over the thought of waterfowl hunting in short's!

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Public Hunting is done on open flood plains away from crocs, your always mindful none the less and if you were hunting elsewhere near billabongs or creeks, you would never get too close to that body of water.
Dogs are great to use on the flood plains, but 1 dog between 3 shooters would never keep up, it's kinda awesome to have that size bag limit.
Gotta love the shorts hey, average Temp. where l live is 32degrees Celsius everyday not everywhere can l wear shorts, friggan leeches and skeetas will make a mess of you in some areas.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Q.
Do Geese over in your countries roost in trees at night?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Living in the northern lower 48 the numbers of birds looks like fun and different species in a place I've never been is a big plus, but how dang hot is it? Looks like a 100F.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Hot every day friend, every plant, beastie or beast flourishes here due to the high rainfall and full sunshine, l reckon it's on par with Florida, Louisiana or Texas weather?

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
I can't get over the thought of waterfowl hunting in short's!

Yeah, me too. Click on image below.

Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Seriously horrible conditions right there Kamo Gari!
Are you hunting on the sea for ducks?

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
All in the name of Waterfowl Success...Gotta love a 4hr bog in the Swamp in the heat of the day...

argh...

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sforbsy:
Seriously horrible conditions right there Kamo Gari!
Are you hunting on the sea for ducks?

We hunt sea ducks too, but the video in question was from a day we hunted coastal waters (salt marsh).

Some great looking hunting and species of birds you guys have there. Any idea how many of them are importable to the US? Wife and I have friends in Oz but I keep telling the lass I'm not going unless I can take off at least a few days to hunt and fish. What are your seasons like, please?

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
These areas l hunt are also salt water coastal marsh, when the first rains in Nov arrive so do the mass numbers of geese and ducks, this would be the most favourable time to hunt. I also hunt freshwater swamps and Mango farms in Nov. N.T Waterfowl season starts Sept to first week of Jan, some states in OZ do not permit a waterfowl season. All birds are legal to export as trophies green skin or mounted, you would need to apply for a permit through the N.T Parks & Wildlife, not very difficult.
What species of ducks do you hunt where you live? Can you hunt Geese too?

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Perish the thought of freezing wet days Duck Hunting....unfortunately the Skeetas, Marsh flies and Midgies can upset the Harmony.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of Old Timer Ron Rains, State President of the Australian Deer Assoc. slugging it out in the Swamps with the Heat, Skeetas and Leeches....not bad for 70 plus Rifle man.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
These areas l hunt are also salt water coastal marsh, when the first rains in Nov arrive so do the mass numbers of geese and ducks, this would be the most favourable time to hunt. I also hunt freshwater swamps and Mango farms in Nov. N.T Waterfowl season starts Sept to first week of Jan, some states in OZ do not permit a waterfowl season. All birds are legal to export as trophies green skin or mounted, you would need to apply for a permit through the N.T Parks & Wildlife, not very difficult.
What species of ducks do you hunt where you live? Can you hunt Geese too?

Yes of course on geese. We kill canadas, brant geese (saltwater species for the most part) and the occasional snow goose. I hunt all ducks here in Massachusetts, with a lot of species available to chase. One year I killed 23 species locally, which is but one reason I love the bird hunting here so much. Other years either myself of people I know have killed another 5-5 species, so the rough total that we can hunt, assuming we can get a crack at them, is around 30. Variety is the spice, right? Wink

Enjoying your pics, mate. Thanks for sharing them.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Wow and here's me thinking all of 5 duck species is the Ducks nuts. You guys certainly have beautiful critters over that part of the world. I have always been in love with the thought of hunting Snow Geese. We have other species of duck available but it's very rare to have them travel so far north. We do however have many other exotic birds and if you are tight with the Indigenous people you may get opportunities to hunt some amazing non game species on their homelands. This time of year it's all about wing shooting for me...life is Good!

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Here is some pics from this morning in the swamp and actually a personal best as it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes before l had my full bag of 10 Geese. When your Hot your Hot!

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
From field to table within a few hours...

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow and here's me thinking all of 5 duck species is the Ducks nuts. You guys certainly have beautiful critters over that part of the world. I have always been in love with the thought of hunting Snow Geese. We have other species of duck available but it's very rare to have them travel so far north. We do however have many other exotic birds and if you are tight with the Indigenous people you may get opportunities to hunt some amazing non game species on their homelands. This time of year it's all about wing shooting for me...life is Good!

Thanks, and yes, we manage to stumble on a few birds locally from time to time...

Wink

Cheers.

[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums
/n29/birddown/hunt/winterpicsLMH020.jpg[/IMG]

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
I cant get over how beautiful these birds are. The composition within yours shots are quality, Gee wiz man you got some serious pics happening there. Really awesome images, love ya work and the different birds species have such amazing and colourful plumage. I have always said to people when your out hunting you either have to hunt or Photograph because you cant have the best of both, for example, yesterday the Birds came through in thousands, l mean thousands and the sky was black with birds, but not for one minute did l want to put down that gun for a camera, in hindsight l should have because that image would have made for a truly amazing pic.
I must say the bitter cold temperatures you guys are hunting in would test the best of Hunters. I had a little experience in New Mexico and l wasn't prepared with the correct clothing and l was miserable. Are you spending all day out in those conditions? Over here we hunt at first light until mid to late morning when the sun gets high and too hot, we then come out again in the afternoon as the Magpie Geese leave the water to roost. What months are you permitted to hunt? Also, are they Black ducks there l see? are they super fast like the ones here?

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Heres a pic of me in New Mexico, but it don't look a tad on what you guys are dealing with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sforbsy,

just certainly a stupid question but you re not using pump or semi-auto shotgun in your place?

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:

Yes that's correct Medved, our semi auto's and pump shot guns were taken from us after Martin Bryant from Port Arthur in Tasmainia gunned down 16 innocent people at a cafe with a semi auto. Truth is our Hunting & Shooting clubs were not unified in alliance. Anyway, we can shoot a 3 barrel, side by side & over/under only. If you have a Primary Producers licence you may apply for a pump shot gun but you will be unable to use that on public hunting or game reserves.

Sforbsy,

just certainly a stupid question but you re not using pump or semi-auto shotgun in your place?

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Excellent hunting. Thanks for posting. A combination buffalo/duck hunt would be nice.

Buff & Waterfowl numbers are in high volume up here in the Top End, we are lucky in that regard as there are no more than 220,000 people in the whole state. I will continue to keep the pics coming.
Regards,
Stewart

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Please do, Stew. Good stuff and thanks for sharing here.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Hey Kamo, we need to get that swap hunt thing happening. If you ever wanna come over make sure your here around late November.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would be great to see some pics of the birds coming over in good numbers, post if you get a chance

Cheers

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Manyathelo:
Would be great to see some pics of the birds coming over in good numbers, post if you get a chance

Cheers

I will work on that image Manyathelo, l am keen to get busy with capturing some quality pics now after seeing Kamogari's.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
The spoils of Wild Harvesting.
Handmade Geese sausage and Grilled Duck hearts on a skewer.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Kamo, we need to get that swap hunt thing happening. If you ever wanna come over make sure your here around late November.

Oi, let's get this show on the road then, mate. Look for PM and ta.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was present in more than a few of those pix of KG's.....good times bro.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote